lakes entrance is dead

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
trout-hunter
Has liked: 8 times

lakes entrance is dead

Post by trout-hunter » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:54 am

Hey all, just got back from lakes entrance and i gotta say IT'S DEAD, not any of the fisherman i spoke to got a single bite.. ive been goin there for the last 6 easter brakes and ive only ever caught 1 little fish.. out the mouth is a differant story, good snapper, big gummys etc but if ya dont have a boat theres no point fishing. Weather there full from all the prawns or spooked from the boats being shallow water is my only thought. Either way its hard to get a bite.
Anyone else have this problem while fishing lakes entrance??

Cheers

malleestump

Re: lakes entrance is dead

Post by malleestump » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:48 am

I fished of the bridge last year for a couple of hours for 1 tiny snapper.others were getting the same.
Last edited by malleestump on Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are looking for the person to change your life.look in the mirror .Cheers gus

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:30 am

Few of the guys on here seem to have been doing ok....
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Vinny

Post by Vinny » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:30 am

It's over fished

lachie.snow

Post by lachie.snow » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:01 am

I went there earlier this year without a boat and caught plenty.

JoshW

Post by JoshW » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:04 am

Been hearing the same about Lakes Entrance. Personally I would have headed over to Tambo/Tyers/Metung, etc.

passport1980

Post by passport1980 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:21 am

DougieK wrote:Few of the guys on here seem to have been doing ok....

Mate....too true. I am with the original poster. I would be the one asking why it is quiet only to hear other people have been doing well!!!

Ive realised This fishing gig is a major science and it is great joining this forum. Before I sort of underestimated the fisherman. There is so much knowledge on here!!! And to know I can happily spend the next 40 odd years taking on something so challenging is cool.

Lakes Entrance- yeah I would have spent a bucket of money on bait, petrol, losing my mind trying to catch a sambo from the surf. Only to walk away with shoe full of sand and a pissed off missus. Don't worry mate.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:00 pm

passport1980 wrote: Ive realised This fishing gig is a major science and it is great joining this forum. Before I sort of underestimated the fisherman. There is so much knowledge on here!!! And to know I can happily spend the next 40 odd years taking on something so challenging is cool.
This is a really cool post for anyone that's struggling to pick up fish at a particular spot.

Remember, very very rarely do people post reports of getting donuts. I'd say for every report with some good fish in it there are a dozen that don't get made that would have said ' fished three hours with different baits and lures at this spot, got nothing'.

In my opinion each individual spot, sometimes only a couple of hundred metres apart, has it's own personality, it's own traits and it's own set of tactics. In the two and a half years i've been doing this again (fished a lot when i was a kid) i've probably only really dialled in on three or four spots, and i'm out 2-3 times a week most weeks.

You see reports by guys like Meppstas and CarlG and Barra Mick showing all these fish, what you dont' see is the 1000 hours + they've put into learning how to make the most out of each fishing opportunity at that particular spot over the last 20 years.

Saying 'this spot is dead!' is actually code for 'I didn't manage to apply the right technique in the right conditions required to catch a fish in the short time period I was here for'. This is not meant as a crack at the OP, merely an observation brought on by the 1000 odd hours i've got over the past 2.5 years, particularly at Mount Martha and Gunnamatta. We KNOW there is good fishing at lakes entrance, we know it's available land based, and we know 'it's dead' is a completely false statement.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:17 pm

Well put Dougie.

Apparently many did it tough over the weekend. Some say the full moon played a role, some did well Friday but that was it, and claim it may have been the falling barometer that was the issue. Who really knows? The fact is that different species react differently, and with some these factors don't affect them at all. It's a science alright. Put in enough time and effort and you can start piecing things together until you work out a pattern. This is a person on their way to moving up the ladder from dangler to angler.

bilby

Post by bilby » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:52 pm

Interestingly, I spent 2 afternoons on the weekend from 2.30-7.30 p.m. on the Yarra near Melbourne at some of my favourite locations and was struck by how amazingly "dead" the fishing was. In fact, I only had one bite over the whole 10 hours of fishing, which is a record for me on this waterway, and my brother and I fish it often. I don't think I've ever fished the Yarra and not caught (or at least lost or had some serious hits!) something before. Other fishers I met made similar comments. There must have been something up with the weather, barometer, moon, etc. I would think.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”