lakes entrance is dead

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
ratbag

Re: lakes entrance is dead

Post by ratbag » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:40 pm

trout-hunter wrote:Hey all, just got back from lakes entrance and i gotta say IT'S DEAD, not any of the fisherman i spoke to got a single bite.. ive been goin there for the last 6 easter brakes and ive only ever caught 1 little fish.. out the mouth is a differant story, good snapper, big gummys etc but if ya dont have a boat theres no point fishing. Weather there full from all the prawns or spooked from the boats being shallow water is my only thought. Either way its hard to get a bite.
Anyone else have this problem while fishing lakes entrance??

Cheers
Mate, I'm in Gippy on a regular basis, the weather was against all fishos over Easter. I have spent Dougies 1000+ hrs trying to understand the lakes, 90 mile beach & McLoughlins beach areas over 15 years & I kept a diary for 10 years on the weather, tides, moons, fish caught, donuts, etc and developed a great novel on info - some useless & some useful.

With the weather so different from Wed-Sun it would have been difficult for even the best fisho. I seem to catch less when an easterly wind comes thru with a high humidity.
It also depends on when the netters were through the area.

Tough gig for Easter period, might be worth heading back in a couple of weeks when it has less ppl around.
On 90 mile beach the only catches I saw were 1 elephant & shed loads of crabs.
quid est quod eum

re-tyred
Has liked: 376 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:37 am

Land based you might struggle a bit unless you are interested in Luderick. Been plenty of them around the rocks. Boat based fishing has been pretty good in reeves channel up to Nungurner. Been quite a few KG Whiting and school whiting this week but I haven't had time to give it a crack. There was a huge number of boats out over Easter all roaring around so I think it would have been a problem finding a quiet spot for the fish to settle. We have just had a large amount of rain and a very windy few days so it will be a whole new ball game this week. I am planning to give it a go either Saturday or early next week. I will let you know how it goes. On average over the summer I have had fish most days I have been out. Couple of donuts but usually have caught a feed of flatties between Nungurner and Kalimna. Lake Tyers has also produced a feed of flatties and bream on most trips. I usually go and catch 3-4 fish then go home as I just catch what I can eat while fresh. Average trip has been about 3-4 hrs. I spend a lot of time at the boat ramps in my job as Boating Safety Officer so I get to see what is coming in. Over Easter about 50% of the lake fishers came in with fish. A month earlier it was quite a bit better with more boats getting them and larger bags. Water temp has dropped to about 16-17 this last Cpl of weeks so the winter fishing will be starting soon.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:42 am

re-tyred wrote: Over Easter about 50% of the lake fishers came in with fish.
If half the people on the rock ledges at Mount Martha had fish we'd all be screaming about how hot it is.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

bigdan91

Post by bigdan91 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:27 pm

I went there from the 30th-3rd and caught plenty! All land based off the bank and jetties or surf

Lots of salmon in the surf at east beach
Bream and trevally at Lake tyers
Whiting at metung
Pinkies, bream, luderick and even a flounder at nungurner

most fun was catching prawns to use as bait though

re-tyred
Has liked: 376 times

Post by re-tyred » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:47 pm

I gave it a go today. Launched my tinny at lunch time. Motored up to Nungurner, about 15 minutes. Three size flathead in the first hour all on bait. They were taking pilchard and prawn. Landed 4 whiting 2 king George, under size. They went back. 2 nice school whiting. Lost a lot of bait to toadies and small pinkies. Moved back down to Rigby Island opposite Kalimna and landed another flathead on the first cast, then just a bunch of Bulleye Gurnard(scorpion fish ). Chucked them back as I couldn't be bothered dealing with the poisonous spines. Back at the ramp by three with 4 flatties. 32cm 35cm, 37cm and 40cm. Nice feed for dinner. Flat calm day out on the lake and about 22 degrees, can't beat that for a relaxing Saturday arvo. :dinner:
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:53 pm

Lakes Entrance is hard work landbased but have been able to get a few nice catches quite often. I would say it is over fished but patience and experience will get something.

You have to be willing to try something different when they wont bite. I once fished metung area and had the paternosters and nothing, changed to 6lb line small sinker and hook, and we got 4 nice flatheads, some trevally, a nice bream and a whiting, within 1 hour. Went back the next day at the same time and bang on again. Other times we have the float out for sambos to stop the crabs eating all the bait, and success until you cant find the float haha. And just out from the post office, tailor and some garfish at night.

So use some different techniques, and move around metung, nungurner, kalimna and lakes all about 15 mins from each other.

Just some evidence:
081220101369.jpg

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”