Line / Leader Snap test help required

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
sanny123

Line / Leader Snap test help required

Post by sanny123 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:11 pm

Hello , gd day ..
I have seen some people fishing with lighter line weight than leader weight i.e for e.g 30 lb line and 50 lb leader,
some opposite with 30 lb line and they use 20 lb leader (I do).

I would like to have 2 different set up and a scenario, if any experts out there can help me with the answer and reason will be much appreciated,

set up 1 : 30 lb braided line with running sinker (heavy - snapper sinker - fish finder rig) connected to swivel (50 lb) from the other end of the swivel a 20 lb leader for 1 meter long with a size 4 hook. All connections made with Uni knot 10 twists.

set up 2 : 30 lb braided line with running sinker (heavy - snapper sinker - fish finder rig) connected to swivel (50 lb) from the other end of the swivel a 40 lb leader for 1 meter long with a size 4 hook. All connections made with Uni knot 10 twists.

Here is the scenario, if the hook gets hooked tightly in rock/structure/root etc its basically snagged.
I am now pulling my rod gently and firmly to break the arrangement at a point bcoz I know i got snagged with my HOOK ( not snagged with my sinkers) I am putting more pressure and tension. Eventually some where it breaks.

can some one please tell me
1. where it will break in the each set up ?
2. please support ur answer with a reason
3. suggest or please advise with is better setup.

In my case, I was fishing for only 2 years not much experienced.

Thanks.

Mishachief

Re: Line / Leader Snap test help required

Post by Mishachief » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:27 pm

the only reason i would use a heavier leader than the main line is: that the fish i am after is lore likely to chew through the line if lighter, or its around snaggy area's and the heavier line gives me more abrasion resistance. and also gives me a heavier line in the last few meters to grab the line by hand. and also allows your to put more force into a cast with a heavy sinker.

and the only reason i would use a lighter leader than main line.. would be because the fish i am after is more finicky, harder to catch on a heavier line.

so i would be more likely, to use a 20lb main line, 30lb leader to sinker, but have 15lb to 25lb from leader to hooks.. if i needed it. as an example.
♥♥♥ Life's a Beach, So Go Fishing! ♥♥♥

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:13 am

It would break at the swivel most of the time either way, as the knots there provide the weakest point.

Also you shouldn't have a running sinker on braid (likely to wear through the braid)
Better to have braid to mono (running sinker on mono), then swivel then leader then hook.

Braid should only ever be tied to a leader, never a hook or swivel as that will always become the weakest point, and if you have a running sinker sliding up and down braid it will eventually wear through it

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:38 am

If your constantly snagging by using this method then your using the wrong rig in the area. Try a paternoster rig..
Or in my case I would use a running paternoster. And use light line for the sinker part so it breaks first. Goggle it if you don't know what it is
In regards to your question. Weakest knot will go first but failing that I'd say the swivel could break or the light leader will go first. But the rain to use a heavier least than mainline is usually to prevent bustoff or chewoffs from fish with rough skin/mouth or teeth.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:41 am

You can have a running sinker on braid if you use an ezy rig. Never had any problems with it

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:56 am

I use an ezy rig and rubber bead over braid to a snap swivel . Dropper loop to the sinker. All my rigs I pre tie at home then put into ziplock bags. All bait rigs have a swivel for quick connection I need reading glasses so easier to tie at home and quicker in the boat.
For my style of fishing I run all reels on braid except my game rods , and have rods for different locations as a general rule ppb whiting, flathead sp rods 10lb line ppb snapper 20lb line westernport 50lb line.
Leaders also vary whiting 6lb mono flathead 20 to 40 lb depending on location, snapper 40 to 60lb westernport 60lb outside up to 100lb depending on depth and bottom.
As for breakage I seldom have any unless bitten off I retie my braid to snap swivel at the start of every trip and use new rigs as well I found over years if I didn't retie to the snap swivel that is where it would fail first I think the knot getting wet then put under extreme pressure for a few trips it would keep pulling itself tighter then eventually fail since I retie start of every trip I have had minimal breakages.
For my lure rods I use the fg knot to leader then snap swivel to lure for quick changes. Not everybody will agree with my style but it works for me.
If snagged I always pull in a straight line by that I mean no bend in the rod hand on the reel wind down on the snag slow steady pressure 90% of the time it comes free with a bit of the ocean floor attached or it snaps at the leader to swivel . The sinker dropper if it snags is a lower breaking strain than the rest so it always lets go, as for which is more effective sinker on a dropper or sinker straight to ezi rig I use both, not 100% convinced which is the way to go and I only use sinkers with swivels.
Oh and I forgot to mention if changing to a paternoster I just clip the rig to the snap swivel and the ezi rig is not used it just sits there sliding doing nothing and I have never had a problem with it snagging or scaring the fish.

sanny123

Post by sanny123 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:30 pm

Thanks Guys for your advise.

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:32 am

Also not uncommon to use light line for the main, say 6lb, and 12lb for the paternoster, mostly for the abrasion resistance especially flatheads, tailor and Jewies. The light line is for casting distance landbased and a bit of sport.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”