Micro Jigging

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Uluabuster

Re: Micro Jigging

Post by Uluabuster » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:15 pm

Shaz,
That's a juvenile samson...still pull hard at this tender age when fished at the right outfit!

Yeah 80-150g outfit will be more appropriate for kings or rat kings, less likely to be bricked!

Scott_henning,
If you wanna catch more bottom dwellers, slow down your presentation and use flutter jigs - more oval than long with asymmetrical sides. They flutter on the fall and stay on the strike zone longer, appeals better to the lazy ambush predators/scavengers.

Montague Island seems to lie north of NSW (according to google) so you are lucky man Scott, get a smorsgasboard of tropical and temparate species at your doorstep.

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:30 pm

That aint a juvenile salmon, looks like a juvenile samson fish to me.
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:34 pm

Master-pro wrote:That aint a juvenile salmon, looks like a juvenile samson fish to me.
How do you tell between amberjacks and samsons at that size?
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:56 pm

Uluabuster wrote:Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone tried micro jigging here in Victoria ? With the shallow water and bugger all current movement we have here in PPB, it'll be fun to catch snappers, flathead & trevally etc on micro jigs (10g-30g) using 8-10lb braid.

It'll be interesting to see what is everyone's catch if this effective and
interesting method has already been widely accepted by fello Victorians.

Storm Gomoku series of rods & jigs are perfect for this application.

Cheers
Uluabuster

I recently picked up a Gomoku Red grips PE 0.8 1.5 and intend on giving it a bit of a bash off the kayak this season
these light jigging rods should be perfect for the kayak
Not just inside the bays but a little light off shore work will be in order
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Uluabuster

Post by Uluabuster » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:18 pm

Shazz,

From my limited knowledge, juvenile amberjacks are almost pale grey with a stripe across the eye. The brown stripe stripe becomes less distinct as the fish gets bigger. I've caught a few slightly larger than samson size shown above. The snout is sharper compared to a samson. Also, they have yellowish fins.

Samson on the other hand has those classic brown blotches across the body, including the eye area. The tell tale difference is the rounder head profile.

I could be wrong so take this advice at your own risks. :)

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:40 pm

Uluabuster wrote: Scott_henning,
If you wanna catch more bottom dwellers, slow down your presentation and use flutter jigs - more oval than long with asymmetrical sides. They flutter on the fall and stay on the strike zone longer, appeals better to the lazy ambush predators/scavengers.

Montague Island seems to lie north of NSW (according to google) so you are lucky man Scott, get a smorsgasboard of tropical and temparate species at your doorstep.
Yeah mate montague island is just off Bermagui.

Yeah I've mostly been using a slower retrieve, and it seems to be working. Fingers crossed I can get a size Kingie tomorrow

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:25 pm

salmon don't have the small dark patches on them, the have small yellow dots, where as small samson fish have the dark markings.
Attachments
rsz_image_1.jpg
ArripuisTruttaFishbaseNorthIslandNZwww.gulliblestravels.co.uk.jpg
ArripuisTruttaFishbaseNorthIslandNZwww.gulliblestravels.co.uk.jpg (52.01 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

Uluabuster

Post by Uluabuster » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:21 pm

Master-Pro,
Not sure where you get the idea that we are talking about salmon- I read the previous postings 3 times but can't see anything being mentioned about salmon. Its more amberjack vs Samson. Hope I m not missing anything.

I m pretty sure I can differentiate between salmon & Samson. We've got both here. The normal confusion is more of herring vs bay trout(juvenile salmon).

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:28 pm

Uluabuster wrote:Master-Pro,
Not sure where you get the idea that we are talking about salmon- I read the previous postings 3 times but can't see anything being mentioned about salmon. Its more amberjack vs Samson. Hope I m not missing anything.

I m pretty sure I can differentiate between salmon & Samson. We've got both here. The normal confusion is more of herring vs bay trout(juvenile salmon).
could of sworn i read salmon, brains fried i think.... Year 12 getting the better of me already it seems :crazy: :sleepy1:

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:30 pm

Absolute ripper day on the kingies today at montague island again, and I snagged a few on micro jigs. Was hard work landing a legal kingy on light gear, had an absolute ball. I've decided I love micro jigs haha

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”