Finz Bonanza-Part 1

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Uluabuster

Finz Bonanza-Part 1

Post by Uluabuster » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:13 am

I got an invite from a mate last Tuesday to go out wide fishing because the weather was looking mint. Seabreeze predicted <10 knots for the whole day so the plan was to explore some ground 30-50km offshore not usually possible with summer WA weather.

CHECK OUT THE TOUGH CONDITION!
IMG_2985.jpg
Glass Out
IMG_2985.jpg (57.73 KiB) Viewed 475 times
The first stop was to collect some bait for the bottom bashers. Since I only packed jigs between 90 -230g for offshore use, I wasn’t prepare for the 6m bait collection spot. Then the Williamson Gyro jig in my tackle box caught my eye. I had previously bought this jig from Compleat Angler Boxhill when they were on special @$3. As cheap as it sounds, this is actually an excellent flutter jig, courtesy of the asymmetrical sides. I had rigged this 30g jig with a single hook for casting at surface bust up. This lure swims well on fast retrieve and flutters down on the pause, mimicking an injured dying baitfish falling out of the school. As that was my only option, I cast it out and jigged it back. On my second retrieve, I had a hook-up! The fish didn’t managed to peel any line from the reel but the rod was folding over and pulsating from the tail beat as the fish tried to win its freedom. After a short tussle, a nice fat black arse breached the surface, mouth agape with the J-hook lodged in the lower jaw from the outside. I was stoked. It looked bigger and fatter than my previous PB jigged up from Whitey’s charter in Jurien Bay. The fish looked rather squarish than cod shape but who cares? – it tasted great on the table. ☺ With only a few wrasses on the deck, we decided to move on to the deeper ground.

BLACK ARSE
IMG_2987.jpg
Black Arse 1
IMG_2987.jpg (76.26 KiB) Viewed 475 times
IMG_2988.jpg
Black Arse 2
IMG_2988.jpg (68.96 KiB) Viewed 475 times
Half way out we came across many birds working the surface. I wanted to cast but skipper decided to troll around the birds to see what’s lurking underneath the surface. Haine’s rod was the first to take off, the lure of his choice being a Halco Laser Pro 140 red head. A fat yellowfin tuna of 8kg hit the deck. We continued to troll and next was double hook-up. However, the skipper dropped his fish because he was using 6kg line to gain points for his comp. Marco’s fish stayed on the hook and soon he brought in a yellowfin of similar size to the first.

I am more of a casting freak than a trolling person but since the bite was red hot, I decided to pull out my Rapala CD Magnum purchased last Xmas. In an era where X-Raps took most of the lime light, I decided to go old-school and tied on this timber lure, retrofitted with Owner S-125 singles. As I didn’t have any trolling outfit, the Rapala CD Magnum was sent out in my Saltiga Hiramasa spinning outfit, rigged with 50lb FC. As the boat passed another flock of seabirds, my reel went off! It was hard pumping in the fish when it swam towards the surface in the opposite direction but once it dived deep, the parabolic action of the rod exerted enough hurt to tire the fish out quickly. With a few strokes, the fish was brought to the surface- another finz of smaller proportion. Nevertheless, I was stoke. Not because I caught the fish but because my decision to go old school and Owner singles proved to be correct! I did try Decoy Jigging Singles before but missed many strikes at the Abrolhos, both casting and trolling. Not that they are no good but I reckon they are not suited for fast moving lures. The tuna was pinned on the upper jaw on the belly hook.
IMG_2989.jpg
Fighting Finz with jigging rod. Note the parabolic curve of the rod
IMG_2989.jpg (74.44 KiB) Viewed 475 times
IMG_2993.jpg
Finz breaching the surface
IMG_2993.jpg (90.73 KiB) Viewed 475 times
IMG_2995.jpg
Tooooooona
IMG_2995.jpg (83.74 KiB) Viewed 475 times
THE OLD SCHOOL LURE THAT WORKED!
IMG_3021.jpg
Rapala CD Magnum
IMG_3021.jpg (81.12 KiB) Viewed 475 times
This is a new lure, used for the first time and had caught 1 fish. But there are multiple teeth marks all over the lures. Check these out! My guess is either the fish made multiple attempts to nail the lure before getting hooked or there were more than 1 fish going at this lure. NO...they aren't hook rash. I try rotating the hooks but there are some angles where the hook points can't reach.
IMG_3023.jpg
Scar 1
IMG_3023.jpg (64.78 KiB) Viewed 475 times
IMG_3024.jpg
Scar 2
IMG_3024.jpg (64.68 KiB) Viewed 475 times
IMG_3025.jpg
Scar 3
IMG_3025.jpg (60.88 KiB) Viewed 475 times

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Finz Bonanza-Part 1