Coast Guard high and dry on Elizabeth Island, WP

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Coast Guard high and dry on Elizabeth Island, WP

Post by Scraglor » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 pm

FishnMiss wrote:Perhaps you heard incorrectly, as there is NO Coastguard running aground in WPB story anywhere, but I'm open to correction.

Could it have been this story:
http://www.foster.vic.au/boating-traged ... -sand-bar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Are you 100% sure about this? I have pushed their boat off mine at the hastings ramp so they could launch? I also waved at them as I came in at Hastings, when they are heading out. It was a big yellow boat that looked exactly like the one in the picture, so, I dunno, but I would hazard a guess there is?

On a similar note, I have been thinking about contacting the Hastings Marine Rescue (VMR Mornington) to volunteer some time. However I dont really know whats involved. Im a reasonable small boat pilot (about 2-300 hours) and a squad level swimmer with a small amount of life guard training, however I would just like to know a bit more about whats involved. Does anyone here have any experience?

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:27 pm

http://issuu.com/westernportnews/docs/w ... nuary_2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:36 pm

Apologies, I read your post as there was no coast guard in WPB, not no Coast guard in attendance :P

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:49 pm

Lol...nah, sorry. Definitely not Warneet, and wasn't in conjunction with the CFA to assist with a burning boat.

I like your persistence though :)

Apparently it was quite a mission to re-float the vessel during daylight hours, and other than the details that have already been mentioned, that's about all I can remember being said about it.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:54 pm

It did happen. It was a coast guard boat. And they bought over the carrum 9.2m coast guard stabicraft to have a look at floating it.

I was at Hastings boat ramp when the Carrum boat was retrieved on return

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:09 am

Wow they must have really had egg on their faces, I cannot find this story on any news service????
Perhaps it will be in this weeks local papers. Sure would be nice to find out all the details.
Thanks for letting us know :thumbsup:
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

islander4ever

Post by islander4ever » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:57 pm

Definitely happened, I saw it high and dry on Thursday (22nd Jan) and photographed it but Coastguard doesn't want it in the news, they think it's bad publicity. But already it's got some of us wanting to join them. Friends have said they didn't know Westernport had a Coastguard, but now they know it does. Plus they do enough rescues to know accidents happen to good people. Not sure why they don't want it in the news. No doubt they do a great job, this doesn't detract from that. It's a warning to always be prepared for the unexpected.
:titanic:

chrisofisho

Post by chrisofisho » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:28 pm

Hi, i can guarantee you that picture is real I saw that scrap metal parked there. As for the question of VMR Mornington, a little googling and boom. I think you should be able to find any info or contacts here.. http://www.vmrmornington.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Or here.. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VMR-Morn ... 30?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

guppy101

Post by guppy101 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:17 am

Some other Photos
Attachments
IMG_1124a.jpg
IMG_1123a.jpg
IMG_1109.JPG

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:40 am

Even at high tide that must have taken some serious skill to put a boat all the way up there...
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”