Advice and tips on night fishing

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Slammer

Advice and tips on night fishing

Post by Slammer » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:44 pm

I'm thinking of going land based night fishing and have never been before. Could any body give me advice or tips? I'm thinking of fishing around the st kilda area, as I ride a motorbike and can't take my rods on the high way. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. I have torches, luminous beads, bells and glow sticks for my rod tips, any ideas for other equipment? Or significant differences to day fishing?
Slammer

Mishachief

Re: Advice and tips on night fishing

Post by Mishachief » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:56 pm

as your ride.. perhaps you could buy a telescopic rod one day.. then you can go anywhere..

night fishing i have found... just need a good lantern, a good small torch for looking thru tackle kit etc or other things... i found the bells on the rod tip alot more better than glow tips.. cos you always here it.. and you dont have to keep looking up.

pretty much the same as day fishing i think.. just more peaceful.

and i think poeple were mentioning st kilda peir has been good lately
♥♥♥ Life's a Beach, So Go Fishing! ♥♥♥

deathray
Has liked: 8 times

Post by deathray » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:20 pm

I generally prepare refreshments at a ratio of 2 cans per hour but if driving/riding this may not be applicable. I would however suggest fishing a light drag or open bail given the recent reports of lost gear and likelihood you may actually hook something big at night.

AVG_Fisho

Post by AVG_Fisho » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:11 pm

just make sure you take 2 lights!
Average Angling Adventures
With Specialty Fishing Products
http://www.facebook.com/average.angling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mishachief

Post by Mishachief » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:03 am

agreed.. tis always smart with any unattended rod, to back the drag off till it just holds in the current etc... that way any hit you get you hear the drag whirrr.. like deathray said...

and only 2 refreshments per hour... must be darwin stubbies.. :Bar:

oh and last vital piece of advice i have is... that last step?? that was the edge of the pier!!!!!

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:48 am

I don't get it, you want to go fishing but you can't bring your fishing rods.

azkay

Post by azkay » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:17 am

Headtorch, a good one at that. Best investment for night fishing :)

Good Luck..
Az.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:42 am

azkay wrote:Headtorch, a good one at that. Best investment for night fishing :)

Good Luck..
X2 a good head torch makes a huge difference. Dont get a $5 anaconda one, buy something decent.

If ur on a budget, the cheap ebay cree ones are very bright, however the build quality isnt great.

I always take a good led head torch, an led lantern and a small led pocket torch. Good lighting makes all the difference when night fishing

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:51 am

Slammer wrote:I'm thinking of going land based night fishing and have never been before. Could any body give me advice or tips? I'm thinking of fishing around the st kilda area, as I ride a motorbike and can't take my rods on the high way. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. I have torches, luminous beads, bells and glow sticks for my rod tips, any ideas for other equipment? Or significant differences to day fishing?
All dependant on the rods you have and what bike you ride, but a few mates of mine that ride, bought some pvc pipes from bunnings and secured it lengthwise on a bike. - if that helps.

The equipment you listed are pretty much what you need. I too think bells are the way to go. at least that way you can notice pickers if you need to rebait.

Mishachief

Post by Mishachief » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:55 am

good idea.. i would paint the pipes matt black too.. so even less noticeable... 30mm pipe should be about right for most spin rods..but a measure around the biggest eye will tell...and you could always notch out one end long enough so the biggest eyelet on the rod is exposed.... though if that was used.. i would have a pipe each side for each half of rode.. rather than one bigger sized to hold both pieces.. one under the other.. one larger for the big half section.. then smaller diameter above/bellow that... some strapping and buckle snaps for easy removal would be good too. .. screw end caps too.. so nothign can act as a missle if in crash(cops will think that)..

though i wouldnt attempt Jousting :)
Attachments
rodbike.png
rodbike.png (13.42 KiB) Viewed 549 times

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”