Corinella jetty and shared spaces

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Novice

Corinella jetty and shared spaces

Post by Novice » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:11 am

Hi,
I took my son down to Corinella jetty for a fish yesterday afternoon. Lovely day, somewhat spoiled by some inconsiderate boaties. It was bedlam at the ramp, and I knew I'd made a good decision when I left the small tinnie at home.
Soon after we arrived, boats started coming in from their morning session , and for t he entire period we were there, there were between 30-40 boats sitting in the Chanel waiting to come in. All ok, until some of them decided to tie up at the jetty. At some point, like fish schooling behaviour, a number of boats decided to circle around the pier, considering tie up options. On guy drove staight over my 2 lines in his rush to pick up a mate from the ladder beside me. I ended up with 2 boats tied up straight below me for most of t he time I was there and was careful to avoid banging them with sinkers. But really? I get that it is more than frustrating to sit for a couple of hours waiting for the car to come down the queue, I get that the jetty is a shared space and people need to tie up and drop people off. I think in respect of that it's important to maintain general rules of politeness and acknowledge that what you need to do is actually impacting on other people. The lack of consideration of a few people did take the gloss off an otherwise stunning afternoon. Too bad about the fishing though. One throw back trevally.
On the way out the line of cars extended past the shop... That 2-3 hr wait must have been a dampener for those coming in.
I did wonder what would have happened if the weather turned with all those boats out there...

tuna tube

Re: Corinella jetty and shared spaces

Post by tuna tube » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:32 pm

Thats a tricky situation. The boats have nowhere to tie up but you were there first. Would like to know what other members think.
It's kind of like the werribee jetty. Always has land based fisherman on it which is fine, however, boats need to travel close to it as that's where the channel is. Only very few people lift their lines as boats approach. I have cut many lines with my propeller unintentionally.
Cheers
The Tube

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:36 pm

I *think* boats have right of way. Certainly there are signs indicating so on a few jetties, I don't know if that is a hard rule or case by case though. It's frustrating that's for certain.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:40 pm

Again this thread highlights the need for more boat ramps and more accessible locations for land based fishos

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:52 pm

Right this won't go down to well with most of the forum are lbers... The vast majority of piers are short stay mooring piers first and foremost and any vessel wanting to berth at said pier has right of way over everyone fishing off the pier. Other piers have longer term mooring areas or are just long term berths. The fact that times change and so does the primary use of piers does not mean that regulations automatically become redundant.

It's a simple matter of suck it up princess because there ain't **** you can do about it. And the problem is made worse on low tides where boats have 2/5ths of fa navigable water

tuna tube

Post by tuna tube » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:19 pm

cobby wrote:Right this won't go down to well with most of the forum are lbers... The vast majority of piers are short stay mooring piers first and foremost and any vessel wanting to berth at said pier has right of way over everyone fishing off the pier. Other piers have longer term mooring areas or are just long term berths. The fact that times change and so does the primary use of piers does not mean that regulations automatically become redundant.

It's a simple matter of suck it up princess because there ain't sh*t you can do about it. And the problem is made worse on low tides where boats have 2/5ths of fa navigable water
Totally agree coby.
Like I said in my earlier post, some people just won't lift their lines and end up getting their lines cut. I must admit, I have a bit of a laugh when it happens :tongue:
Cheers
The Tube

Novice

Post by Novice » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. Actually I wasn't saying that boats shouldn't use the jetty because I was there, I was just expressing my frustration with the lack of consideration of a few people. One guy came straight in to the jetty to pick up a passenger, without giving me time to get my lines in A couple of boats parked straight umderneath me instead of parking somewhere with ladder access that wasn't interfering with people fishing on the pier. I own a boat and understand about needing to get access to a jetty. It's about how that is negotiated. It doesn't need to happen with a sense of entitlement and behaving as though the people on the jetty just need to get out of the way. A bit of polite negotiation and an apology when the boat interferes with people on the jetty goes a long way. Live and let live, in my opinion, regardless of who has the "right". Granted, it's a frustrating situation for everyone.

nafa

Post by nafa » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:35 am

Novice wrote:Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. Actually I wasn't saying that boats shouldn't use the jetty because I was there, I was just expressing my frustration with the lack of consideration of a few people. One guy came straight in to the jetty to pick up a passenger, without giving me time to get my lines in A couple of boats parked straight umderneath me instead of parking somewhere with ladder access that wasn't interfering with people fishing on the pier. I own a boat and understand about needing to get access to a jetty. It's about how that is negotiated. It doesn't need to happen with a sense of entitlement and behaving as though the people on the jetty just need to get out of the way. A bit of polite negotiation and an apology when the boat interferes with people on the jetty goes a long way. Live and let live, in my opinion, regardless of who has the "right". Granted, it's a frustrating situation for everyone.
Could not agree more. Good manners cost nothing, nor does consideration of your fellow fisherman. These are the sort of situations that can get out of hand very quickly and lead to conflict between fellow anglers. When a common sense approach upfront nine times out of ten will find an amicable solution to all the parties involved. Think I will continue fishing from the rocks to avoid this sort of scenario that seems to be all to common these days.

Longshot

Post by Longshot » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:16 am

I've seen a Pier fisherman pull a knife and wait for a boatie to come in after he ran over his lines at Corinella. It was a stand off and neither would back down. I left before the result. So it can get worse Novice!!

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:53 am

Novice wrote:Hi,
I was just expressing my frustration with the lack of consideration of a few people.
Welcome to landbased fishing.

Unless you're willing to put in some serious hiking time to get to spots nobody else can get too, you're going to encounter this again and again and again. Boats, Jet ski's, divers, other land based fisho's, dogs...kids.... you're pretty much open game to inconsiderate *#&#s. Remember when dealing with fisho's that pretty much everyone carries a knife and it's just not worth the risk of escalating anything.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”