Needing help - Living and fishing on a tropic island..

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
JimmyNails

Needing help - Living and fishing on a tropic island..

Post by JimmyNails » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:21 am

Hey everyone, there's a chance that I'll be moving to Fiji or Timor Leste in the coming months ahead. I'll probably be there for min. 6-12months, and from what I've seen - you need to definitely bring your own gear.
This means that my 2-4kg spin outfit probably won't last long from what I've researched so far...

My aim is to go fishing off the beaches and rocky outcrops when and where possible (no chartering).

So far I'm contemplating purchasing the Saltiga 5500 2014 Exp. As I believe it might be more versatile and I don't want to limit myself with what fish I could catch (though a small GT would be nice). Also, it looks like I'll be travelling to quite remote locations in the years to come - and from holding both the saltiga and stella, the saltiga feels like it will withstand more travel and fishing abuse - especially with their new bearings.

So, my questions are:
1. Due to being 'new' to fishing for 'big' fish, is the above reel too small for such a fishing environment?
2. Would the 8000 Exp. be a better choice?
3. What 2-3 (preferably 3pc) rod, around 7-8ft would be appropriate?
4. What is your experience in such/similar locations?
5. What is your experiences with either the 5500 or 8000?

In the end, I just don't want to spend $2000-$3000 on gear that I may only use a couple of times...

So, thanks for all the help in advance!

GTSHoon

Re: Needing help - Living and fishing on a tropic island..

Post by GTSHoon » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:40 pm

http://www.innovatorrods.com/nitro-godzillaspin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; check out this rod, it's a beast! Sorry I can't help a lot with the reels but I reckon the saltiga is more than big enough
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:40 pm

The saltigas by all accounts are exceptional but big $$$$.

I would buy the saltiga over a new stella or buy the previous model stella if you can find one.

The most common rod I would use almost everywhere is 7ft 5-7kg spin stick with a light 4000 size reel.

Probably worth adding 1 lighter outfit 3-5kg 2500 size reel and 1 heavier 8-10kg or 10-12kg rod with 5000-8000 okuma salina 3.

I would add a 9-12ft rod for longer casting distance reel depending if you like baitcasters ect.

Carbon rods are great but I would suggest bringing a fiberglass rods at least as a backup as (you never know what will happen with travel) as they are almost indestructible.

JimmyNails

Post by JimmyNails » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:24 pm

Thanks for the responses so far guys!

..I really like the saltiga, and if not for how these new ones are built, I would certainly go for the stella...maybe an 8000-10000. However, these saltigas are awesome, and I generally like to splash out on something like this if it will last me for the next 10-20 years - as buying a replacement or shipping might be an issue in the future.

As for the setup I'll be taking, I reckon I will probably take my 2-4kg outfit with me as well then. It's pretty sweet, and have recently landed an 18lb atlantic salmon on it (my biggest fish) on 8lb - so, I know it can withstand a bit. However, besides this I think I'll be able to bring only 1 more setup with me - as we generally travel light, and all our possessions for work and travel normally fit into 1-2 suitcases - even for over a year.

So, I'm thinking the 10-15kg outfit might be a good alternative. ..I hear what you are saying, the 5kg one would be better but I'm aware that I might latch onto a GT from the shallows or the rocks and don't know if it will be up to the job..

So, as for rods, here is what I'm currently looking at:

1. Nitro Godzilla Spin (thanks for the advice): 2pc mid-joint/10-15kg/7ft/sensitive tip.
2. Shimano T-Curve Revolution Travel Offshore: 3pc/10-15kg/2.2m/20-100g lure weight (I'll be casting 20-90g lures/poppers).
3. Daiwa Saltist Demon Blood: 2pc (though I'm trying to find where it separates - as it might not be possible to take)/7'2ft/PE 3-5/60-120g lure weight.

Thoughts anyone? :-)

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”