why do people have so many rods?

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: why do people have so many rods?

Post by re-tyred » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:21 pm

My rods: first off none of them are expensive fancy pants rods :)
2 x short 1.75mtr 4kg rigged with 8lb mono and a sliding sinker. These are my boat bait fishing rods. No need to cast a long way, it throws the bait off, and if you aren't where you want to be move the boat.
2 x offshore boat rods (snapper rods) still short 1.9mtr. 8-10kg. Bigger reels, heavier line, 15kg and 20kg braid, with 2mtr of mono leader. I usually rig them single hook and non sliding sinker. Again no need to cast a long way so short stubby rod is easy to handle on the boat.
2 x casting rods long and light, 2.4mtr 2-4kg. 1 is fiberglass 1 is carbon fiber 4kg braid with mono leader. These I use to catch salmon and flathead in the lake, casting lures.
1 surf fishing rod big long and a ***** to cast . I hate it mostly just take a lure rod to the beach. I need to get a longer carbonfibre rod.
Then I have a couple of spares in the garage just in case. These are 2mtr 8kg all purpose rods.

Today the carbonfibre caught me 7 keeper salmon ( 28-30cm) and about 6 I threw back, in 2 hrs up the lake.
So much fun a small salmon on a very light rod. :)
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

matty_rotten

Post by matty_rotten » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:28 pm

well I see fishing as a sport, I like to catch big fish on light gear, its fishing not catching.. its a lot more rewarding catching good fish on lighter gear when its about skill and technique rather then just winching in a fish.
With what the tackle shop guys are telling you is right, whats the point of having 13kg line when your rod is rated to 6-10kg? your rod will snap befor your line will. there is no need to have 30lb line when you cant use it, if you get what I mean... on a 6-10 kg rod use 6-10kg line lol..

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:23 pm

its a bit like having a shifter it will fit any nut but the correct ring spanner does the job better therefore you need many ring spanners

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:55 pm

4 Westernport heavy rods. 4 ppb snapper bait rods. 4 Whiting nibble tips. 2 squid bait rods. 3 squid jig casting rods. 3 surf rods. 2 mid game gear (tld25s). 1 heavy jogging outfit. 5 bream lure rods. 2 bass lure rods. 2 light game gear for kings. 2 heavy Whiting rods for deep marks. And various other odds and ends mostly as spares.

Moral? Each set serves a purpose. Some cross over, but I wouldn't want a 50kg Mako hooked up on the 4-6kg ppb bait rods, nor do I want to cast 4gm lures with charter specials or an 18k Saragosa and pe6 jigging rod

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:18 pm

I tried using a full roller 30kg+ marlin rod tossing 2.5 size squid jig. After a few casts, I had enough and bought a 15 ft surf rod for squidding. It worked better than the marlin rod.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:36 pm

Fish-cador wrote:I tried using a full roller 30kg+ marlin rod tossing 2.5 size squid jig. After a few casts, I had enough and bought a 15 ft surf rod for squidding. It worked better than the marlin rod.
:rofl: :rofl: you're a goose :rofl:

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:43 pm

it was because fc's roller was ceased

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:59 am

sandef wrote:its a bit like having a shifter it will fit any nut but the correct ring spanner does the job better therefore you need many ring spanners
Mate this is the simplest explanation of it I've seen. Good work.

Rods have varying line ratings, lengths, actions, weights designed for different things. If you want to plastics fish you want something around 6'-7'6" in a fast or ex fast taper depending on multiple things. Do you need the extra length for casting on flats? Are you casting hard inside structure and need a shorter rod for accuracy or simply so you don't hit it on the structure (fishing under bridges is a prime example)

Conversely hardbody rods are generally a slower taper with varying lengths again for varying tasks.

Reels are simpler. If the weights balances right you can generally use 2000 sized reels up to 10lb ratings. 2500 up to around 16lb ratings.

Note the sizes above refer to the higher end of the market were overall weights of the rods are minimal. A 1-3kg Catana would weigh around 125gm. I have a 7kg rod that weighs less.

It's all tools for a purpose. Yes you can definitely do the jobs with less tools and 90% of the time could do it just as well. But if you can afford it and you want it then go for it.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:20 am

He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:19 am

sandef wrote:it was because fc's roller was ceased
damn! that must be the reason. Will grease up and try again. Can post pictures if needed.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”