why do people have so many rods?

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Re: why do people have so many rods?

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:12 pm

Troutflies.com.au has really cheap flies, there are better quality flies out there but they still do the job fine. Pro angler probably makes the best value for money flies.
Fishing Victoria Species Comp:

tuna tube

Post by tuna tube » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:47 pm

TONKA wrote:Pretty simple really, bream rods catch bream, snapper rods catch snapper and whiting rods catch whiting . In my collection ive got a carp rod, a seaweed rod and 3 doughnut rods and they all seem tor work well enough
:rofl: :rofl: My doughnut rod only gets used at Nude Up's secret spot :icon_lolz:
Cheers
The Tube

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:47 pm

Rod Bender wrote:
ducky wrote:Browsing the interwebs yesterday I accidentally accumulated another 2 megabass rods. Haha. This time for squid fishing. Let's just say the megabass spanner kit is coming along well.
So this then leads to another question! Will you then have to purchase a reel for each of these rods or will you utilise reels you already have? I have a habit of using an extra rod as an excuse to get another reel? Even if I have one suitable for it! :-D (token emoticon)
cheers
Jim
I would've added a 2510pe-h luvias but they didn't have stock. That will come soon. In the meantime I'll utilise other reels.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:29 pm

Doug for fly fishing estuary, i would use a 9' 7 weight rod on a intermediate or sinking line.
look at troutflies.com.au for flies, they are $2-$4 each and have been good enough for me in the past, just make sure you're looking at saltwater flies.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Time Poor

Post by Time Poor » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:02 pm

We agree on the set-up Maz. I'm now looking to tie the largest Cat's Whisker I can manage. I can't see why it won't succeed in the surf? Mix n match the chenille/fritz/marabou.

I forgot to mention that you may need a line tray if you're wading and using an intermediate. It'll allow you to haul three times rather than five and be 3m further out and covering more water. I'll be putting that in the 'essential' box in the boot too.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:13 pm

I dont have that many rods, but i am always looking to collect more lol.

I mostly fish from a kayak and usually take 3 rods with me (so far). Most of my fishing is drifting for flatheads, so i tend to take 2 rods rigged for bait and 1 for soft platics. At the start of a drift i drop one of the baits and flick the SP as i go. Then if i lose the bait rig i just swap rods for the backup one instead of trying to rig another line in the kayak.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

JoshW

Post by JoshW » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:32 pm

I don't have that many setups (relative to a lot of people on here!!), I only have 7 rods that I use regularly but they all have their place.. I try to keep it most my fishing gear fairly simple.

I've got three 1-3kg rods and these cover the majority of my fishing. One is 6 foot for short work around boat hulls, etc. One 6'6 for light stuff in the yak and another 7' for land based stuff.

I then have two 2-5kg rods, one is for snapper etc. in port phillip off the yak and the other is for more finesse stuff for Yellas and EP etc. I then have my surf spinning rod and then a heavier spin rod.

I like keeping it simple like this because I don't see the point in having 25 different rods/reels when you're realistically only going to use 1 at a time! Keeping in mind that I pretty much exclusively use lures.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”