why do people have so many rods?

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Dano

why do people have so many rods?

Post by Dano » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:16 pm

why do people get like bream, whiting rods and all that. Cant they just use their snapper rods? the only difference I see is the weight rating, not to mention I've heard stories of big fishes taking baits the size of a pea. With a whiting rod, the fish will probably spool you. and why do ALL fish store people tell me that I shouldn't be using like 30lb on a 6-10kg rod and reel combo for example. They say its a bit heavy for the 4000 reel and that I should use 15lb. Sorry if these are very novice question, just got into serious fishing recently before that I've been using a $30 rod from ALDI :)

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: why do people have so many rods?

Post by bowl » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:42 pm

Well cause some rods u can cast a hell pf a lot further then others for one.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:02 pm

I have 4 light outfts, 6 medium outfits and 5 heavy outfits. Plus a few specials like a EGI rod and spin stick.

They are all different and whilst some of the outfits could double up for other applications I use the best tool for the job.
Last edited by frozenpod on Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:05 pm

Why buy a hammer when you have a sledgy in the shed?

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:05 pm

That is a really good question to ask.

Partly, I think it is because some fishermen tend to be a bit like women who collect shoes. They just have to have the newest, latest and greatest fashion.

On a more serious note, my only rod for many many years was Jarvis Walker San Remo, and it served its purpose, mind you catching a 20lb cod on it, really did test its ability, even caught a stingray off Mornington pier, and managed to get it too the surface. If I had caught the cod with a Jarvis Walker Black Queen, it would have taken much longer to land the fish, if I did not loose it in the mean time. Yet the Jarvis Walker Black Queen makes a great trolling rod for trout.

Different fishing rods are designed for particular purposes, and depending on your fishing style you may only get away with one or two rods.

The most obvious difference in fishing rods is the length, and different lengths suit different purposes, for example a 12' rod will cast much further than a 6' rod. Conversely using a 12' rod in a boat is very awkward, and rods shorter than 6' tend to be ideal.

Then there is the taper (action) of the rod, this tends to be classed as Fast, medium and slow. What complicates matters, is different manufacturers will use certain terms differently.

Some rods will cast a very light weight, in grams, whilst other rods, the cast weight is in oz.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:07 pm

On other thing is as a general rule, the more expensive the rod, the easier it is too break.

Carbon fibre rods, do break much more easily than fibre glass rods.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:14 pm

Its all in the action imagine catching a 800gram whiting on a 10 kilo rod it would hardly bend and you would just skull drag it in, but if you catch a 800gram whiting on a 1 to 2 kilo rod the fish will really give you a work out you would have to use your skill to bring it in you will not be able to skull drag it in the fight will last a lot longer hence more fun.
I have rods for ppb and rods for westernport in westernport the current and depth in some areas you need 10oz to hold bottom. In ppb there is hardly any current at the top end but at the heads there is heaps. You generally use a rod in the weight limit of the fish you are targeting and the area ie depth current.
Plus he who dies with the most toys wins

TONKA

Post by TONKA » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:33 pm

Pretty simple really, bream rods catch bream, snapper rods catch snapper and whiting rods catch whiting . In my collection ive got a carp rod, a seaweed rod and 3 doughnut rods and they all seem tor work well enough

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:49 pm

TONKA wrote:Pretty simple really, bream rods catch bream, snapper rods catch snapper and whiting rods catch whiting . In my collection ive got a carp rod, a seaweed rod and 3 doughnut rods and they all seem tor work well enough
:rofl: That's what they are, donut rods :doh1: , I'm gunna throw mine away :icon_lolz: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:58 pm

You can import them cheaper from the US if you don't mind having a donut rod.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”