Best place to fish?

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
rhys_p

Best place to fish?

Post by rhys_p » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:56 pm

Hey all,

just came across this website, think ill be using it alot now, have just recently got the fishing bug pretty hard now and been doing alot of fishing at lakes entrance, eildon and mallacoota, i just have a few questions;

- I was looking at buying a tinnie, found a few for about 2k, is it worth outlaying the money when fishing for snapper or can you get the same results fishing from the shore?

and what the best place to go for snapper? I prefer to travel to country areas than having a crack in the metro area.

thanks heaps.

Rhys.

Dr Drift

Re: Best place to fish?

Post by Dr Drift » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:24 am

Gidday Rhys,

IMHO, boating and snapper go hand in hand... yes you can get a snapper on a pier but in a boat it is so much more accessible...
Dont have to travel far to get them, just have to pick the right ramp according to wind in a small craft... Unfortunately I only know off metro areas, so ill let others help you out with country area....

Dont need a huge boat to get into the snapper, I caught plenty when I had my 11fter with a 20hp on the back, only difference was I could only fish dependent on weather...

Dr Drift...
Dr Drift...
<((((((><

FishHardButFishSafe...

fishsticks

Post by fishsticks » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:52 pm

i think the best idea is get a boat. you get to fish where you want, and find your own favourite places and only weather restricted. i just bought a 4 m tinny with 9 hp motor for 1350 and came with everything and was very much seaworthy. the boat has payed for its self already. you can get good deals out there
In every species of fish I’ve angled for, it is the ones that have got away that thrill me the most, the ones that keep fresh in my memory. So I say it is good to lose fish. If we didn’t, much of the thrill of angling would be gone. –Ray Bergman

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:13 am

i caught plenty of nice snapper off mordialloc pier last snapper season and a few after season with the last being about a month ago it was 46 cm. but still much better off going out in a boat as long as you find th right spots.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:05 am

rhys_p wrote:I was looking at buying a tinnie, found a few for about 2k, is it worth outlaying the money when fishing for snapper or can you get the same results fishing from the shore?

and what the best place to go for snapper? I prefer to travel to country areas than having a crack in the metro area.

Rhys.
I prefur to sit on a skinny piece of tupperware ( fishing kayak ) no boat ramps to deal with

however if you get yourself a tinny it opens up a lot of areas for not only snapper but almost anything the bays have to offer

I dont target snapper a lot myself only realy for the tea tree comp , most of my snapper come as by catch while hunting down gummies in Westernport

theres only a month or so to go untill the a new batch of red carp start coming back into the bays
although there are still some good fish being taken right though the year

The above pic from WP 19/8/11 my first snapper of the last season 72cm
caught in 5 meters of water near Jam Jerrup

good luck with your boat
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:13 am

I have owned several boats in the past & still do own one & i can say that you dont need a boat to catch Snapper , i have taken many good fish from landbased piers / shore throughout the years . catching 1 good Snapper landbased , is better than catching 20 from a boat . :victory:

Return to “Snapper Fishing”