Do wave direction effect snapper ?

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
Jasonfish1234
Has liked: 234 times

Do wave direction effect snapper ?

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:06 pm

Like if was NW is the snapper going to be at east coat? Or It is going likely to be at warmies? Or west coat. Landbase snapper fishing.
as suggest by this website https://tides4fishing.com/au/victoria/m ... bservation on monday of 30 of sept

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Do wave direction effect snapper ?

Post by Redhunter » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:23 pm

Simply put, yes it can...
I've found that during northerlies and easterlies it is usually a soft/timid bite/take, whereas during westerlies or southerners it is a more convincing/aggressive bite/take. However, I don't think this is quite what you're referring to. In reference to land based fishing, onshore winds are best. For example, if a westerly wind is blowing waves from the west to the east side of the bay, the east side of the bay where the waves are crashing and stirring up food and creating cover for fish to get in close, should in theory, fish better than the other side of the bay.

Jasonfish1234

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:33 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:23 pm
I've found that during northerlies and easterlies it is usually a soft/timid bite/take, whereas during westerlies or southerners it is a more convincing/aggressive bite/take. However, I don't think this is quite what you're referring to. In reference to land based fishing, onshore winds are best. For example, if a westerly wind is blowing waves from the west to the east side of the bay, the east side of the bay where the waves are crashing and stirring up food and creating cover for fish to get in close, should in theory, fish better than the other side of the bay.
The wave is going to North-east. I know WE wind is the best for snapper and the rough weather is much more better. What I'm asking is that is wave direction going to effect where they are, I because I going to warmies on monday.

Jasonfish1234

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:40 pm

Like this, the wave is pushing to NNW, is going to make snapper go to east side more?
Attachments
Monday wave.PNG

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:50 pm

Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:33 pm
Redhunter wrote:
The wave is going to North-east. I know WE wind is the best for snapper and the rough weather is much more better. What I'm asking is that is wave direction going to effect where they are, I because I going to warmies on monday.
For example - A "North-east" (NE) wind, means the wind originates from the north-east, but is blowing the wind and waves in a south-westerly direction. Therefore, from the north-east of the bay it is an offshore wind, and from the south-west of the bay it is an onshore wind. Snapper prefer a rough onshore wind, because the waves crashing on the shore stir up food for them to eat. The rough weather also provides cover for them to swim right in close to shore for an easy meal.

Jasonfish1234

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:58 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:50 pm
Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:33 pm
Redhunter wrote:
For example - A "North-east" (NE) wind, means the wind originates from the north-east, but is blowing the wind and waves in a south-westerly direction. Therefore, from the north-east of the bay it is an offshore wind, and from the south-west of the bay it is an onshore wind. Snapper prefer a rough onshore wind, because the waves crashing on the shore stir up food for them to eat. The rough weather also provides cover for them to swim right in close to shore for an easy meal.
Yes I know, But what I'm want to know is that this wave direction NNW will effect them, on monday is wind south western wind
Attachments
wind direction.PNG

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:11 pm

Dude, think about what I have said in the examples, in relation to your real-time situation. Think!

To help join the dots for you, if it is a S-SW wind, it will be an onshore wind in the N-NE section of the bay. In other words, warmies area. Based on the barometric prediction in the pic you have shown, dawn or dusk would be peak times (from very first light until the sun comes over the horizon, or from when the sun disappears over the horizon until it gets dark). If this happens to tie in with a tide change as well, you have many things pointing in your favour.

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:14 pm

Just give it a go mate the Warmies is not really affected by waves as its mainly enclosed.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:17 pm

Jason, that's a good explanation by redhunter but seems like you need more explanation.
Basically and generally, the best landbased fishing is to fish against the wind.
Example, its good to fish port melb if the wind is from the south.
Mornington pier is good when the wind is NW.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Jasonfish1234

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:19 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:17 pm
Jason, that's a good explanation by redhunter but seems like you need more explanation.
Basically and generally, the best landbased fishing is to fish against the wind.
Example, its good to fish port melb if the wind is from the south.
Mornington pier is good when the wind is NW.
Sure, i already know this thing but form the chart is suggest the swell is go NNW, what I'm curious about. That I'm asking but I'm going to get a go on arvo and finish at 4. Thank for tip redhunter

Return to “Snapper Fishing”