Re: Snapper reel recommendations

Post by Bugatti » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:23 pm

Schwartzy wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:44 pm
Mattblack wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:32 am
Schwartzy wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:55 pm
Thanks everyone for valuable feedback. Some additional information might be helpful. Whilst I do not have a budget, I am looking for good value. I think $150 is reasonable. I am shocked at what some people are prepared to pay for a quality reel, but I do wonder how much is R&D and quality and how much is marketing and hype. The reels will be paired with a couple of 4-8 kg UglyStiks, I purchased on sale from Anaconda. They were almost giving them away. I do not think a larger or heavier reel will be out of place. I also have a couple of Veritas 4-8 kg rods, also purchased on sale, and it would be a shame not to pair them with a light weight reel.

I last fished PPB with my dad over 30 years ago. So it has been a while between fishing trips! I still have my reel from the day, a Diawa 7000x. Diawa and made in Japan stood for quality back then and I am tempted to buy Daiwa for the nostalgia value.
Mate, you sound like me a couple of years ago....what sort of boat did you get and how old is your little deckie? (might take some digging, but this forum will have all the answers your looking for over the next few years)
We have an Evolution 550 Platimum and are very happy with it. My son is 11 and the photo below is his very first catch. The smile on his face was worth every penny that we spent on the boat and gear.

Everyone has been very helpful and unfortunately it will only encourage me to ask more questions.
S Junior.PNG
Just food for thought Schwartzyneger,

My kids use Penn 5000 spin reels , , , , and are easy to use, and are great as they can hone their skills on those for any fish.

But what I also do, and they do enjoy, is using overhead reels. I have a preference for ABU (personal choice), and the 6500 for the kids.

This is so they get the hang of those reels too for future endeavours. The star drag, the thumbing the spool, the casting etc etc. I load them up with heavier line than they need to be (I generally fish heavy but also they focus on learning the reel and not dealing with bust offs, that comes anyway).

I either do "an overhead reel" day (like the photo with my Son, who is about 10-11 there and has caught 8kg Snaps) or we have one overhead as a cast out big bait put down rod.

Might be worth the thought for just one, so Junior Schwartzyneger learns/gets the hang of overheads for future use instead of learning them as an adult

ABU outfit.PNG

ABU 6500.PNG

Cheers, Bugenator

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:28 pm

I was.using 6500 and 7000 when ones.10 yo lol.
That shows.my age npw.i think now I think of.it

Schwartzy

Post by Schwartzy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:28 pm

I would like to thank everyone for their advice. I went with Penn 560L Live Liners, which were significantly cheaper than Shimano bait runners.

PENN_SLAMMER_560_L_LIVE_LINER_BAIT_RUNNER_FISHING_REEL_1024x1024.jpg

I have also watched Kosta's excellent video on catching PPB snapper and can't wait for snapper season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXweO2JFW44 :water:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:58 pm

Nice purchase mate and good luck with the snappers this season!
Cheers :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:01 pm

Great buy mate

Return to “Snapper Fishing”