Snagged Rig/tackle/lures

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Re: Snagged Rig/tackle/lures

Post by April Fool » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:51 pm

Please note Deepak I said 'perhaps' 70%!!! This is with lures...I am not sure how you will go with bait hooks and line/sinkers hanging off. I have never tried it with bait rigs.
Cheers
Jim

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:07 pm

Deepak wrote:
Been having a crappy time fishing their. Will definitely try it.
I am using and 8ft rod with 12lbs monoline.
Any suggestion plz????
Deepak, I know a fair few fishos fish 12lbs, or lighter. I have 15lbs on my lighter rods, and surprisingly the extra 3lbs saves those rigs and squid jags a lot better. On 2 of my mid rods that I fish land-based with, I use 20lbs. Some would say over kill on the line but when you get a snag, you are happier that you had up-ed the size of the line. A bit of a sacrifice but that's what I do. If you are that concerned about "heavier" line, you could always pick a momo that has a narrower diameter.

I do have one land-based outfit with braid, and it is better at getting snags unstuck. It might be that it has no stretch that helps. With mono, on a snag, it almost feels like when you try to pull it off the snag, it almost feels like you are just tightening the snag. For the record I don't like braid and curse it regularly but that rod loses less rigs, so I put up with it.

Cheers, Bugatti

Deepak

Post by Deepak » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:14 am

April Fool wrote:Please note Deepak I said 'perhaps' 70%!!! This is with lures...I am not sure how you will go with bait hooks and line/sinkers hanging off. I have never tried it with bait rigs.
Cheers
Jim
Cheer Jim,

Deepak

Post by Deepak » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:48 am

Bugatti wrote:
Deepak wrote:
Been having a crappy time fishing their. Will definitely try it.
I am using and 8ft rod with 12lbs monoline.
Any suggestion plz????
Deepak, I know a fair few fishos fish 12lbs, or lighter. I have 15lbs on my lighter rods, and surprisingly the extra 3lbs saves those rigs and squid jags a lot better. On 2 of my mid rods that I fish land-based with, I use 20lbs. Some would say over kill on the line but when you get a snag, you are happier that you had up-ed the size of the line. A bit of a sacrifice but that's what I do. If you are that concerned about "heavier" line, you could always pick a momo that has a narrower diameter.

I do have one land-based outfit with braid, and it is better at getting snags unstuck. It might be that it has no stretch that helps. With mono, on a snag, it almost feels like when you try to pull it off the snag, it almost feels like you are just tightening the snag. For the record I don't like braid and curse it regularly but that rod loses less rigs, so I put up with it.

Cheers, Bugatti
I know how you feel Bugatti, got one with breaded line and always been able to retrieve most of it.

Return to “Snapper Fishing”