Another WP report, Reds are on & the port is flowing with life.

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Another WP report, Reds are on & the port is flowing with life.

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:22 pm

After having an absolute flop of a session on the Reds yesterday, fishing from 7am - 9pm.... i sucked up my tears and went again this morning.

There is so much life in Western Port at the moment. Baitfish everywhere, Yakkas, Couta, Cowenyoung, Trevally & loads of Squid. I even caught a nice KGW today on a pillie fillet lol, first for me. Havent caught one of them in yonks either.

My plan today was to finish up a bait collect at the end of the run out tide and during slack water, then head to the runway in the north arm and sound around. Bait collection went smoothly, I love this new area i've found. Can catch literally anything from Squid to Couta to Gummies.

Arrived at the northen end of the runway and sounded along the 13m line. A couple marks on the sounder.. but the thing that really had me wanting to get away from there was the amount of boats parked up. Would've been about 20 boats in one little area, and the same thing further down right outfront of esso.

With that in the back of my mind, i realised it wasn't too late to catch the first two hours of run in at Joes. I got there in the nick of time with the tide running nicely. Setup with three rods, Yakka, Squid & Couta. 10 minutes later, as i was on the phone to the missus.. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... an absolute mad run. Had me thinking it was a serious fish, but i guess you never can pick a snapper from its fight. After struggling to reach the net and putting up with a tangle whilst hooked up, i got him in the boat. Weighing 4.1kg & 70cm. Certainly beats donuts. The hard yards yesterday paid off big time for sure. yew... #4 for the season. If only i could get one above 6kg. I think im going to stop fishing joes, school fish haven.
imgonline-com-ua-Compressed-mdtGk0614x.jpg
I Had the same idea last week, to go fish for Snapper on the runway, but with a strong falling barometer and 17knot winds, it really wasn't a good idea....

I sat in the Yaringa channel on the edge, burleyed up and wasn't long before the baitfish came flocking. Snook, Trevally, Couta, Yakkas, Squid all in the one spot, how goods this.
imgonline-com-ua-Compressed-SANbmm6pWFICGvE.jpg
With the conditons not looking too good, i sat on a gummy mark not too far away. Missed one early on, but 20 minutes later i was greeted with a nice 5kg. Top of tide full moon always produces.
imgonline-com-ua-Compressed-N5lURQCOzbggxB.jpg
Cheers guys, tight lines! get out there.

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Another WP report, Reds are on & the port is flowing with life.

Post by Whiskers » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:50 pm

A great report.

Going back a while I remember when you first started targeting Westernport and some of the frustrations you had in catching a fish so all kudos to you. You've stuck with it and have taken the trouble to learn how to fish Westernport.

WP can be a daunting place and it doesn't give up it's fish easily but once you begin to figure it out it leaves Port Philip for dead.

Well done mate.
:a_goodjob:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 pm

Another top report as always mate!
You know a good spot there with the variety of fresh bait you can get just like that! Gotta be happy with that.
Hopefully that 6kg+ isn’t too far away :thumbsup:

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:05 pm

Whiskers wrote:A great report.

Going back a while I remember when you first started targeting Westernport and some of the frustrations you had in catching a fish so all kudos to you. You've stuck with it and have taken the trouble to learn how to fish Westernport.

WP can be a daunting place and it doesn't give up it's fish easily but once you begin to figure it out it leaves Port Philip for dead.

Well done mate.
:a_goodjob:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks mate, appreciate it. Certainly was a ball breaker for awhile. Like with anything, if you put in the effort, you'll get the results. Im just glad i was able to work it out on my own. Its a wonderful feeling. Enjoying my fishing more than anything.

Cheers :thumbsup:

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:06 pm

Lightningx wrote:Another top report as always mate!
You know a good spot there with the variety of fresh bait you can get just like that! Gotta be happy with that.
Hopefully that 6kg+ isn’t too far away :thumbsup:

Thanks mate. Yeah the spot is helping me out immensely.. i hope its not. 5.7 just aint making the cut. :rofl:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:46 am

Well done mate
Well deserved

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:09 am

Top report and very well done. It’s always a great feeling when a plan comes together, enjoy the well deserved catch :thumbsup:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:15 am

Great report Sam good move to stay away from the crowds. Was hoping to be out yesterday but some trailer issues kept me to just bait collecting on Sunday. Some solid squid around at the moment though.

Glad you are consistently catching won’t be long before the temp rises and so too does the number of fish.

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:42 am

smile0784 wrote:Well done mate
Well deserved
Thanks mate :thumbsup:

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:42 am

Tim399 wrote:Top report and very well done. It’s always a great feeling when a plan comes together, enjoy the well deserved catch :thumbsup:
Nothing beats that feeling for me, the satisfaction is unreal. Thanks mate.

Return to “Snapper Fishing”