First Reds of the season including my PB!

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Re: First Reds of the season including my PB!

Post by STriplett1997 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:46 am

Nude up wrote:Great read I can’t wait to get back to Aus nice first fish for the year

I bet. Cheers Nude Up.

Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

Post by Millzee » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:54 am

STriplett1997 wrote:G'day everyone,

Finally my boat is fixed. Very happy with the new transom, Shane @ Avenger Marine did a great job. Launched for the first time in 5 months yesterday with my buddy Josh on board and it was a cracker day.
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-bx2j2p6bPlt70jgc.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-g0lF0dAQqF1mL1.jpg
Already with 7 frozen fresh squid from the week before on board we decided to hit up Tyabb for a few fresh ones. I pushed in shallow to 1.5m due to the strong early NW wind and planned to drift back out over the drop. First cast and bang a squid.. already such a great start to the day. We continued the squidding but unfortunately couldn't manage anymore.

Made the decision to boat down to BP Jetty and try snag a few Yakkas & Couta. This is a first for me.. but it was completely DEAD. There is also some construction already going on there, im assuming for this stupid AGL Gas Terminal. :down: :down:

I didn't want to waste too much time so i pulled the pin about 25 mins in. Motored back up to Yaringa where we sat on a mark of mine for 90 minutes with as little as a touch. Usually im not one to move around too much, i like sitting out spots you believe in.

A few days ago we had spoken about giving a mark of mine from last season a go. Reefy, Coral ground with some nice holes in amongst it all. "Lets go to Joes", i had this gut feeling and ive learnt to always trust it.

Off to Joes island we went, going flat stick on a glassed Western Port Bay, so beautiful to be back amongst it. We sounded around for a little while around Joes, but i made the decision to go anchor up on my mark.

Not long in and we had 3 Couta follow a bait back up to the boat. I had Josh keep the bait in the water and immediately i dropped down a metal and started vertically jigging it back up and boom, they couldnt get enough of it. Some more FRESH BAIT :thumbsup: .

10 Minutes later, my rod started to twitch and twizzle and then it buckled! zzzzzzzzz...! I've missed this feeling big time! Put up a great fight for a 3kg fish.
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-rM7AafU7Hm.jpg
After a couple quick photos i cut half a couta fillet and out it went. 5 minutes went by when it buckled and was screaming. Both fish very aggressive takes. It was a great fight and i knew i had a Big fish on, the runs were long and fast as opposed to short zippy runs. It dogged it under the boat for a few minutes and then she broke the surface. Absolutely stoked.. 6kg Red. First trip of the season and on my boat in 5 months. Couldn't have asked for a better start.
imgonline-com-ua-Compressed-YRR2owawTcTx1Oh.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-ssVUAoH4VlN.jpg
Its going to be a massive season. :water:

Cheers.
Awesome stuff

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:48 pm

Millzee wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:G'day everyone,

Finally my boat is fixed. Very happy with the new transom, Shane @ Avenger Marine did a great job. Launched for the first time in 5 months yesterday with my buddy Josh on board and it was a cracker day.
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-bx2j2p6bPlt70jgc.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-g0lF0dAQqF1mL1.jpg
Already with 7 frozen fresh squid from the week before on board we decided to hit up Tyabb for a few fresh ones. I pushed in shallow to 1.5m due to the strong early NW wind and planned to drift back out over the drop. First cast and bang a squid.. already such a great start to the day. We continued the squidding but unfortunately couldn't manage anymore.

Made the decision to boat down to BP Jetty and try snag a few Yakkas & Couta. This is a first for me.. but it was completely DEAD. There is also some construction already going on there, im assuming for this stupid AGL Gas Terminal. :down: :down:

I didn't want to waste too much time so i pulled the pin about 25 mins in. Motored back up to Yaringa where we sat on a mark of mine for 90 minutes with as little as a touch. Usually im not one to move around too much, i like sitting out spots you believe in.

A few days ago we had spoken about giving a mark of mine from last season a go. Reefy, Coral ground with some nice holes in amongst it all. "Lets go to Joes", i had this gut feeling and ive learnt to always trust it.

Off to Joes island we went, going flat stick on a glassed Western Port Bay, so beautiful to be back amongst it. We sounded around for a little while around Joes, but i made the decision to go anchor up on my mark.

Not long in and we had 3 Couta follow a bait back up to the boat. I had Josh keep the bait in the water and immediately i dropped down a metal and started vertically jigging it back up and boom, they couldnt get enough of it. Some more FRESH BAIT :thumbsup: .

10 Minutes later, my rod started to twitch and twizzle and then it buckled! zzzzzzzzz...! I've missed this feeling big time! Put up a great fight for a 3kg fish.
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-rM7AafU7Hm.jpg
After a couple quick photos i cut half a couta fillet and out it went. 5 minutes went by when it buckled and was screaming. Both fish very aggressive takes. It was a great fight and i knew i had a Big fish on, the runs were long and fast as opposed to short zippy runs. It dogged it under the boat for a few minutes and then she broke the surface. Absolutely stoked.. 6kg Red. First trip of the season and on my boat in 5 months. Couldn't have asked for a better start.
imgonline-com-ua-Compressed-YRR2owawTcTx1Oh.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-ssVUAoH4VlN.jpg
Its going to be a massive season. :water:

Cheers.
Awesome stuff
Cheers mate

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:47 am

I first thought Colin had finished his boat
I checked who's post it was & it's the gummy king (well, would have been if the boat didn't broke)
Couple of good ones there mate
Gunna try and hitch a ride on my cousins boat (snappermanifaction) this year
Never caught a big red
Cheers Gra

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Texas wrote:I first thought Colin had finished his boat
I checked who's post it was & it's the gummy king (well, would have been if the boat didn't broke)
Couple of good ones there mate
Gunna try and hitch a ride on my cousins boat (snappermanifaction) this year
Never caught a big red
Cheers Gra

Hahahah, far from it mate, Cheers.

Get on it mate, its awesome.

Return to “Snapper Fishing”