Pre-Season Snapper Preperation

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Pre-Season Snapper Preperation

Post by Mattblack » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:23 am

I absolutely love snapper season. To me it also means the cold weather is coming to an end, public holidays are back, Football finals, Melbourne Cup….where else would you rather be?!
I love prepping the boat the night before an early start….I even enjoy the hustle and bustle at a busy ramp at those stupid hours when the normal people are still fast asleep. I like to people watch & classify everyone into a stereotype. You get those guys that are angry at everyone, then you get those other lads that are just thrilled to be there & want to chat to whoever will listen….the heroes with the $200K+ setups that look down at everyone else with a smug arrogance & the old chap in the 1970’s cuddy looking back at them with a knowing smile that he’ll out-fish them any day of the week. You get those guys that are new to whole thing & can’t do a thing right because the poor bastards are nervous, apprehensive and excited all at the same time….you get those SWAT teams that can have a boat down the ramp and in the water in less than 30 seconds.
You have all sorts of characters fishing off the piers/breakwalls as well...the space invaders, the know-it-alls, the stand over man that owns the pier.
It’s only a couple of months until those magnificent crimson creatures come back into our bays, and I’m just wondering if anyone has tips on getting ready for the season. Is it too early to start racking up brownie points with the missus, have you started mixing up your never-fail-secret burley recipe, are you pre-tying rigs, making sinkers, do you start calling mates you haven’t spoken to for the last 9 months, are you studying tides and moon phases before you request your annual leave?
Looking forward to the conversation!

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Re: Pre-Season Snapper Preperation

Post by Yota » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:33 am

Ha ha yes the “stereotypes”. I’ve seen them I wonder which one I fit into from the outsiders point of view.
I’ll go out anytime the weather is half decent and I have the time. Right now I’m saving for the annual outboard service. Can’t wait for the warranty period to be out and I’ll be saving money by DIY. More $$ for gear.
Jamie

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:34 am

Ah yes. I’m thinking about it already and getting excited however haven’t started preparing just yet :)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:49 am

Never to early to start earning brownie points.

Still saving for a boat service.
Got to give the boat a once over soon.
Think the shackle on the anchor needs grinding off and replacing due to being rusty

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:52 am

My list.
New prop.
Boat service.
Electrics fixed.
Grease besrings
Catch n seal vac,gars,mullet,squids,mackerakll,trevally,yakka

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:56 am

I have made new sinkers gears all good but the wife has organised an overseas trip aug to early oct,so will miss the start

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:10 pm

Nude up wrote:I have made new sinkers gears all good but the wife has organised an overseas trip aug to early oct,so will miss the start
Dont know whats better over seas trip or fishing

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:14 pm

Nude up wrote:I have made new sinkers gears all good but the wife has organised an overseas trip aug to early oct,so will miss the start
Ya just gunna have to break the bad news to her Nudie and explain what the priority is here... :rofl:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:17 pm

Will still have plenty of time after that mate :thumbsup:

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Yeah, mine did the same...hopefully it counts as brownie points when we get back!

Return to “Snapper Fishing”