Anymore snapper around?

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
TheGreatestGoat

Re: Anymore snapper around?

Post by TheGreatestGoat » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:29 am

Went out on the weekend. Deep mud out from st leonards in 22-24 metres.

Sounded some of the biggest arches I've ever seen, but couldn't get them to go. Using fresh trevally, squid and salmon.

Missed the sunrise though due to unforeseen circumstances so was fishing mid morning. I would play the percentages and fish sunrise/sunset.

Might give the other side a crack this weekend around mt martha deep

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:40 am

Bugger good luck

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:45 am

TheGreatestGoat wrote:Went out on the weekend. Deep mud out from st leonards in 22-24 metres.

Sounded some of the biggest arches I've ever seen, but couldn't get them to go. Using fresh trevally, squid and salmon.

Missed the sunrise though due to unforeseen circumstances so was fishing mid morning. I would play the percentages and fish sunrise/sunset.

Might give the other side a crack this weekend around mt martha deep
That’s where I heard they are holding as well. Hope you get onto some. Good luck :thumbsup:

Thetunaslayer

Post by Thetunaslayer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:58 am

I managed a fish with my dad and his mate on friday.we caught a few snapper but not of much size.we put the boat in at geelong.ww caught 2 squid also.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:02 am

Good effort

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:06 am

Thetunaslayer wrote:I managed a fish with my dad and his mate on friday.we caught a few snapper but not of much size.we put the boat in at geelong.ww caught 2 squid also.
Nice mate. By a fish you mean an actual big one?

sturgeon
Has liked: 14 times

Post by sturgeon » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:57 pm

Mattblack wrote:
sturgeon wrote:
Mattblack wrote:What do you mean by 'banging'...is your boat not to good in rough conditions?
Either I'm crap or the boat is. I can't go beyond 3500 rpm without the boat flying and banging down if it hit a large wave (>0.5 m). It takes too much work I find to drive it Long distance in less than ideal conditions. So I usually go somewhere close or hug the shoreline if it's a westerly or northwesterly. Basically I don't feel comfortable to go too far. Furthest I have gone is point cook and maybe 3/4 of way to portalington on a very calm day. And these calm days are rare. Maybe like 5% of time. In any case that's another discussion about driving. Haha.
Sometimes you get a smoother ride the faster you go believe it or not (it kind of skips over the top of the chop) You should ask someone with boating experience to come out for a spin to get their opinion (let them drive it 1st)...there are a few guys on the forum that live out your way that I'm sure would give you a few tips.
Yes, an experienced driver would be helpful. I'm not sure though whether this is all normal and my expectations are too high for a glass boat. I had previously had an aluminium and I thought it was far easier to drive that this. In any case :

I have two main issues with how the boat drives now.

First is the banging. This usually when I am parallel to the wave or at an angle. I was out today around 12-2 when the wind was picking up. Winds was SW and swell was coming from SW. There was some white caps. I sort of figured out today what you mean by skipping. If I head into the waves directly, I was able to do it while powering up. Can feel the boat skipping from wave to wave. It was good. However, it was only possible if I head into the waves directly. If its anything more than 20 degrees from perpendicular to the waves, it will land with a bang after the boat goes airborne. (I have seen photos of Edencraft airborne. I dont think I go that high, but it sure feels that way. Haha. I dont like to be airborne in my boat. Landing is always not nice). Anyway, I realized today that it bangs because the flat part of the hull on the port side is taking the impact instead of landing on the V because the boat is tilted slightly to port when the swell is coming from the port side.

The tilting is the second issue. It has happened a few times but today when going S with the SW swell, the boat was running slightly tilted to port. Its not level. Im the only person on board. There is some water in my small baitwell on port side and a small esky. Otherwise, it should balance my weight on starboard. I think the boat is tilting because of the swell.

All this happens usually when I get on plane at about 3100 rpm. Today I was at about 3200-4000 rpm if I recall correctly. I have spoken to the dealer previously and they suggest a water test but I am not keen at this time to trailer my boat 1 hour to the east for that. And conditions may not be right to settle the issues with the water test with the dealer. So I am trying to work it out on my own now.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:15 pm

What brand of boat....side chop is a p****...

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:53 pm

Tell me about it...

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:57 pm

The top of the bay is rubbish with any sort of Southerly. If your boat is under 5mts it's always going to be an uncomfortable ride once it starts getting choppy. Always have a full tank of fuel (weight is a good thing), adjust your trim to the conditions and keep practicing until your confidence is up (Eventually you'll start to feel the boats sweet spots).
If your not keen on crossing the bay, might be worth driving around and launching from Mornington/Mt Martha when the fish are on.

Return to “Snapper Fishing”