Anymore snapper around?

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
sturgeon
Has liked: 14 times

Anymore snapper around?

Post by sturgeon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:37 pm

I have never caught a snapper in PPB before. However, I recently got into some pinkies I think. But as they were 21-24 cm long, I could not keep them. They were basically stealing my bait. So I thought it was baitfish and rigged up the sabiki and was I surprised to see it was pinkies. In any case, at this time of the year, is there any point trying to motor out to deep water (>8m) to target snapper at this time? Or should I just stay close to shore and fish for flatheads, salmon, and try for squid and maybe whitings....and save gas and money. BTW, I launch from WS and usually fish around the area. Have not motored too far as I cannot WOT unless seas are PERFECTly calm because of the banging. I dont particularly relish the idea of motoring anywhere more than 15 min at 40-50 kmh.

STriplett1997

Re: Anymore snapper around?

Post by STriplett1997 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:45 pm

Autumn snapper should be starting now

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:48 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:Autumn snapper should be starting now
They already have. Plenty of fish coming in from ~20-22m of water the past week from Mount Martha up to Black Rock. A lot further than the op wants to go though

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:14 pm

What do you mean by 'banging'...is your boat not to good in rough conditions?

sturgeon

Post by sturgeon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:28 pm

Mattblack wrote:What do you mean by 'banging'...is your boat not to good in rough conditions?
Either I'm crap or the boat is. I can't go beyond 3500 rpm without the boat flying and banging down if it hit a large wave (>0.5 m). It takes too much work I find to drive it Long distance in less than ideal conditions. So I usually go somewhere close or hug the shoreline if it's a westerly or northwesterly. Basically I don't feel comfortable to go too far. Furthest I have gone is point cook and maybe 3/4 of way to portalington on a very calm day. And these calm days are rare. Maybe like 5% of time. In any case that's another discussion about driving. Haha.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:30 pm

What kind of boat is it mate?

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:14 pm

We got onto a few this time last year around Mornington but I've been out twice in the last week Mornington & Carrum and haven't sounded a single fish.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:08 pm

let me know when you find them will ya :cheers:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:54 am

What size are you after?

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:14 am

sturgeon wrote:
Mattblack wrote:What do you mean by 'banging'...is your boat not to good in rough conditions?
Either I'm crap or the boat is. I can't go beyond 3500 rpm without the boat flying and banging down if it hit a large wave (>0.5 m). It takes too much work I find to drive it Long distance in less than ideal conditions. So I usually go somewhere close or hug the shoreline if it's a westerly or northwesterly. Basically I don't feel comfortable to go too far. Furthest I have gone is point cook and maybe 3/4 of way to portalington on a very calm day. And these calm days are rare. Maybe like 5% of time. In any case that's another discussion about driving. Haha.
Sometimes you get a smoother ride the faster you go believe it or not (it kind of skips over the top of the chop) You should ask someone with boating experience to come out for a spin to get their opinion (let them drive it 1st)...there are a few guys on the forum that live out your way that I'm sure would give you a few tips.

Return to “Snapper Fishing”