Setting up Sounder for WP. Are these true arches?

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Setting up Sounder for WP. Are these true arches?

Post by rb85 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:01 am

STriplett1997 wrote:
rb85 wrote:Not being familiar with your sounder model its transducer etc it seems like the sounder is zoomed in on the bottom? They look like arches to me nut appear to be a weak return image.

Thats a zoom setting its on, i can zoom it out and see the whole water column. might just need sensitivity adjusting
I use zoom searching for snapper the arches are thicker but still a little distorted my sounder is a furuno

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:45 pm

frozenpod wrote:Gain also called sensitivity.

The hook series have three different transducer options out of the box.

Some lowrance have very wide angle transducers which is what you appear to have from the image. Wider angle provides greater coverage but poor definition and less range. Good for shallow water fish finding (great for finding snapper in 10m of water) and objects show up as large arches so they might look like monsters even though they are 40cm salmon.
When you say objects show up as arches, does that mean anything and everything will show up like that or not what you mean? Sorry I’m conpletely new to sounding for fish

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:07 am

STriplett1997 wrote:
When you say objects show up as arches, does that mean anything and everything will show up like that
Yes exactly everything will show up as arches with a wide angle transducer where as they will show up as blobs with a narrow angle transducer.

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:38 am

frozenpod wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
When you say objects show up as arches, does that mean anything and everything will show up like that
Yes exactly everything will show up as arches with a wide angle transducer where as they will show up as blobs with a narrow angle transducer.

How do I tell what’s what from what if that’s the case?

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:50 am

Mostly through experience with your particular unit.

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:36 pm

I'm trying to set up a lowrance elite ti7 sounder I just bought.

For sounding I'm thinking of splitting the screen into 2, 1 side with x4 zoom for the bottom of the water column and the other screen in high chirp to show the full water column from surface to bottom. Does this sound right to have this in high chirp?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:35 am

Mostly I use sounder to find structures than to find fish.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:54 am

Seb85 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:35 am
Mostly I use sounder to find structures than to find fish.
And so do but only during snapper season is it a mans best friend to try find fish. :a_goodjob:

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:05 am

Robbie1950 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:36 pm
I'm trying to set up a lowrance elite ti7 sounder I just bought.

For sounding I'm thinking of splitting the screen into 2, 1 side with x4 zoom for the bottom of the water column and the other screen in high chirp to show the full water column from surface to bottom. Does this sound right to have this in high chirp?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
I don’t have chirp on my sounder so limited personal actual experience (but a little bit in a mates boat). But I believe high chirp operates around the 200KHz frequency so it is good for a narrower beam width than medium and low. This is typically good for strong bottom readings (depth) and in clearer or still water you get good definition but you won’t see fish arches, more just blobs. Medium chirp (around 83KHZ) has a wider beam angle (usually, but is xducer dependant) and will show fish arches more clearly as arches and will cover more area. I use both frequencies depending on where I’m fishing (WP or PPB or Gippy lakes) and what I’m trying to do. I generally prefer 83KHz when searching for fish due to the familiar arches it produces and wider angle. When I’ve found fish or structure I’m interested in I might use 200KHz to get a better look and narrow down with higher resolution. I’ve played with the down view higher frequencies (455 and 800) in a mates boat and got some amazing images of structure in clear water when moving slowly past submerged trees and things and seen a great image of schooled up bream in Bemm river but I feel this works best in still, clear water.

I can’t even read a sidescan image!

TLDR; if I was searching for snapper in PPB (or WPB at slack tide) I’d be using medium chirp and zoomed in to the bottom half of the water column.

Clear as mud right?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:11 am

From what I understand.
Chirp sonar sends out multiple frequencies (anything between 83-200khz) for a longer duration (pulse) where as traditional sonar is a fixed frequency (83 or 200 only) and a shorter duration (pulse)
With the lowrance units you cannot run chirp sonar along with side/down scan except in the HDS/live units
On anything other than a HDS/LIVE unit As soon as you have a split screen or change to downscan/sidescan the sonar palette will change to normal sonar not chirp, so when you switch back to the sonar palette you have to change the frequency back to chirp (if that’s what you want) just something to be aware of.

Return to “Snapper Fishing”