Hobsons Bay snapper comp - Kayak section

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Hobsons Bay snapper comp - Kayak section

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:30 pm

With Tea tree not running this year we were looking for another event and this year we picked the Hobsons Bays Snapper comp - Eoin from Seasherpa got onto them about running a kayak section inside the normal comp which they did

so it was good to have a level playing field this comp however finding a time to fit in with the weather ( wind ) would have had a some wondering on where to go and how to hide from it
Now the new problem where to fish , PPB is out of my comfort zone

So Mal (Winchbitch) and my self had planed to hit up Franganastan on the Friday evening but with kite string busting winds Friday - that was put off till Sat morning and we both launched from Olivers Hill boat ramp around 5.00 am and heading out near the wreck of the Perseverance out off Davies point in about 15.8 meters . There were a few boats in the area but the boat traffic was fairly light the place was full of under size flat head and pink piranha that ratted bait quite quickly - it became a joke on how short a time a pilly would last

I striped off some flatty fillets and loaded one rod with flatty and tried some Californian squid on the other the flatty pulled me a legal pinky that felt huge at 31 cm me first legal red carp for the season ( not the comp winner though ) and by 10.30 am the wind was getting up all the boats around us had pulled the pin and one of my rods bend over with a hook up again not the monster I was looking for but a 41/42 cm fish and the correct species taken on squid
also amongst the gazillion under size flatties there were a few keepers again not monsters and I kept 4 and as above whittled a couple down for bait

Not much else was happening so with a high tail wind and some good driving bumps going our way it a quick trip back to the ramp looking back after landing the whole bay was white caps
So with my monster snapper I dropped into Carrum to weight it in a whole 0.86 kg but was on the board the new plan was to find something bigger tomorrow

Sundays plan Rickets Point again around 5 am and headed out into the mad house of boat coming and going ( just wondering do all PPB boats only have 2 speeds flat out and stopped ) or is that a Rickets Point thing - the high light was Mal catching a banjo ( biggest thing we saw caught ) again there were no shortage of small flatties steeling bait
by about 9.15 we pulled the pin again the wind was getting up easy 15 knot at guess this time against us for the head back in about 10 .30 we were on the way around to Altona to the H/Bay clubhouse

For the Juniors all 180 of them received a rod reel comb and a Shimano goody bag which I thought was really good

after the juniors came the kayak section they said quite a few entered the kayak section but only 2 fish came in - this reflected what the weather was doing for the kayak guys with only the well seasoned or stupid ( and I fit both categories ) were going to hang out and fish
so my huge 0.86 pinky/snapper pulled a second place in the kayak section
and first went to Luke ( Monty ) with a snap 3.89 kg

So that was the kayak section for 2017 hopefully they do it again next year and the weather is better
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Hobsons Bay snapper comp - Kayak section

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Sounds like a good comp. Better luck next time

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Hobsons Bay snapper comp - Kayak section

Post by FishnMiss » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:02 pm

If I knew it was just the 2 of you in it, I would have entered it & won :rofl:
Yep won for the best donuts :P
I may do it next year, but how to do these things without all the hoopla. I'm happy to pay but couldn't be stuffed with Comps (any for that matter) I'm happy just to meet up & fish with a bunch of blokes, have some fun & then go home :)
Same thing with the Portland Comp next year. I might just offer to help Eoin & have a bit of a fish etc rather than do the Comp itself.

Congrats on entering & getting a prize :thumbsup:
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Return to “Snapper Fishing”