Snapper Season Checklist

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
User avatar
fitzy90
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:23 pm

Snapper Season Checklist

Postby fitzy90 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:20 pm

Well............. Interesting session at Willy tonight to say the least, i think i have checked off all the usual snapper season peeves in one night.

Anchored up with no one around, had 20 boats around us within 30 mins...........Check
Had a yacht cut in too close while at anchor and run over the lines and hook the yacht................Check
Had no less than 4 boats anchor within 20 meters and within a minute swing around and nearly hit the boat.............Check
Saw a boat hit another boat at anchor, the guy at anchor didn't like that much so stabbed holes in the other boats clear covers.........Check
Had a boat put his anchor over our lines, all of which got tangled in the anchor and lost all the rigs..........Check
Hook a police boat............check

What a mental session, lucky we caught some snapper before the onslaught! Two bites for two fish both on silver whiting.

Cant wait to see what else snapper season brings!!!!
Attachments
IMG_7389-2.jpg
IMG_7402.jpg
IMG_7386.jpg



Remove these ads.

smile0784
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 7083
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Re: Snapper Season Checklist

Postby smile0784 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:18 pm

Pardon my french. But how stupid are some people.
None of that needed to happen if ppl just kept a bit of distance and a bit of respect for following anglers.

Otherwise nice fish tho

User avatar
scott__henning
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 1035
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:10 am
Location: Traralgon

Re: Snapper Season Checklist

Postby scott__henning » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:32 pm

Wow. I'm certainly not in a great rush to fish out of Melbourne.

I've never had someone anchor so close they could actually hit me when swinging around...

User avatar
yepi'mon
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 569
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:00 pm
Location: South East

Re: Snapper Season Checklist

Postby yepi'mon » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:03 pm

scott__henning wrote:Wow. I'm certainly not in a great rush to fish out of Melbourne.

I've never had someone anchor so close they could actually hit me when swinging around...


It's pretty ridiculous at times to be honest. The biggest clue I ever had to stay away from the pack was the fact that when I first started out, boats would pull up next to me and fish. At that time we had no idea what we were doing so I now assume every other boat has no idea.

Fitzy, another nice catch!

rb85
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1951
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean

Re: Snapper Season Checklist

Postby rb85 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:08 am

Stabbed holes in the clears that's one way to teach someone a lesson lol.

User avatar
bowl
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 5900
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: Wyndham Vale

Re: Snapper Season Checklist

Postby bowl » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:08 am

Willy n Altona snapper grounds r so easy to access from ramp , that every sheep n newish fisho go there.....water police should be handing out fines for bad /dangerous boating...imo



Remove these ads.

rb85
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1951
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean

Re: Snapper Season Checklist

Postby rb85 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:21 am

bowl wrote:Willy n Altona snapper grounds r so easy to access from ramp , that every sheep n newish fisho go there.....water police should be handing out fines for bad /dangerous boating...imo


Do water police work at night? Only ever get audited during daylight hours. Could anchor all night get pissed as with no lights on or no safety equipment and the water police or maritime safety are no where to be seen.

But they are happy to sit at boatramps and fine people for driving on a trailer without a life jacket.

There's no problem doing safety equipment audits but police those being a danger to others also.

User avatar
Mattblack
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:08 pm
Location: South East Suburbs

Re: Snapper Season Checklist

Postby Mattblack » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:02 am

Funny thing that herd mentality....I always get my turf invaded 10 minutes after dropping anchor. Little do these space invaders know I have NFI what I'm doing.

User avatar
fitzy90
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:23 pm

Re: Snapper Season Checklist

Postby fitzy90 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:28 am

rb85 wrote:Stabbed holes in the clears that's one way to teach someone a lesson lol.


It was nuts, about 20 meters behind us a bloke in a tinny was fishing by himself, a big whittley pulled up near him and anchored and swung around and hit him, there was a bit of pushing and shoving then the tinny bloke pulls a 15 inch filleting knife and starts waving it around then stabs holes in the whittleys clear covers. Honestly thought someone was going to get knifed.

User avatar
fitzy90
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:23 pm

Re: Snapper Season Checklist

Postby fitzy90 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:29 am

rb85 wrote:
bowl wrote:Willy n Altona snapper grounds r so easy to access from ramp , that every sheep n newish fisho go there.....water police should be handing out fines for bad /dangerous boating...imo


Do water police work at night? Only ever get audited during daylight hours. Could anchor all night get pissed as with no lights on or no safety equipment and the water police or maritime safety are no where to be seen.

But they are happy to sit at boatramps and fine people for driving on a trailer without a life jacket.

There's no problem doing safety equipment audits but police those being a danger to others also.


The water police came later on in the day, about half the boats cleared once they turned up



Remove these ads.


Return to “Snapper Fishing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests