Ultimate PPB Snapper Combo

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Ultimate PPB Snapper Combo

Post by Mattblack » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:11 am

purple5ive wrote:That would be my preffered Rod for Heavy lure us, so plenty of grunt available when loaded with bait. should have no issues dragging them in with that.
i actually looked at that rod for some smaller kings and mulloway, but got a heavier rod in the end for light offshore work (ns amped offshore)
You've converted me to Daiwa rods...it honestly feels light enough for whiting/squid, yet has the balls for something significantly larger. If I was only allowed to own 1 rod, I reckon this would be it...it's as close to an all-rounder as you're going to get. (still prefer the Shimano reels though!)

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:29 am

wild/wicked weasel would also be a great allrounder, but will struggle to throw big baited rigs.
everything else it will do easily

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:52 pm

Mattblack wrote:After reading everyone's opinion I bought a Daiwa Generation Black 701HFS Humphead (5-9kg) and matched it with a Shimano Sustain 4000....only advice I didn't take was loading the reel with braid and spooled it with 16lb mono.
Thanks for all the advice, it's fast becoming my favourite as it feels great & it's perfect for the top of Port Phillip....haven't caught anything huge on it yet, but I'm extremely confident it could.
Roughly how much is it for a rod?

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:04 pm

They are $150 on special at motackle atm.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:31 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:After reading everyone's opinion I bought a Daiwa Generation Black 701HFS Humphead (5-9kg) and matched it with a Shimano Sustain 4000....only advice I didn't take was loading the reel with braid and spooled it with 16lb mono.
Thanks for all the advice, it's fast becoming my favourite as it feels great & it's perfect for the top of Port Phillip....haven't caught anything huge on it yet, but I'm extremely confident it could.
$150 anywhere for the rod if you tell them to price match (makes you wonder what sort of mark ups these guys have...recommended retail is about $230).....got the reel for $150 from Southern Sports Fishing (old model)

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:50 pm

Ok cool. I think the wife wiuld kick me out if i go spending that much on a rod again.

But shows you get what you pay for better feel from slightly more expensive price.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:58 pm

Bait where you want light weight. Ultimate would be 3-6kg. 3-4000 sized reel. 15lb mono.

Bait where weight isn’t a factor. 5-8kg rod. 4500b bait runner. 20lb mono

Lure outfit. 4-12lb rod. 2510 daiwa reel 20lb leader. 1/4-1/2oz jighead. 4-6” plastic. With this you can easily run 2-3kg of drag and knock over any snapper that swims in the bay.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:15 pm

Mattblack wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
$150 anywhere for the rod if you tell them to price match (makes you wonder what sort of mark ups these guys have...recommended retail is about $230).....got the reel for $150 from Southern Sports Fishing (old model)
Armadale angling their selling the older model $129 only difference i can tell is fuji alconite guides new model fuji kr guides if your interested ask for the owner when i went the other week they only had a couple of models on the rack but when i told him he what i was after went out the back and came out with a handfull of different model just a heads up very helpfull

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:00 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
Armadale angling their selling the older model $129 only difference i can tell is fuji alconite guides new model fuji kr guides if your interested ask for the owner when i went the other week they only had a couple of models on the rack but when i told him he what i was after went out the back and came out with a handfull of different model just a heads up very helpfull
interesting

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:59 pm

newer models have a bit bigger guides, so def a big bonus if running heavier leaders.. not so much an issue for the bream gear, but the heavier models certainly benefit from it

Return to “Snapper Fishing”