Silly season and boating etiquete

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
PhilN

Silly season and boating etiquete

Post by PhilN » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:01 pm

Ok. Seen one frustrated post already. It's easy to forget that we were all newbies once or to assume that everyone on this forum knows what they are doing. I know from personal experience that this is not the case. So as we move into silly season, I want to share what I feel are the fishing rules of common decency. Feel free to shoot me down/disagree - I'm well aware that there are widely varying views.

#1/Never forgot what it was like to be a newbie
If someone is stuffing up at the ramp - don't abuse them - help them. You'll all be on your way faster

#2/If it's a dad with young kids, cut some extra slack
Don't be a pr*&ck. He is stressed enough as it is. Help him out

#3/If it's dark, turn your head lights off at the ramp
A lot of folk never launch in the dark outside of snapper season. They don't get it until told. Rather than shout "Turn your f&^cking lights off" explain that you can't see when backing down if they leave their lights on. They will never do it again.

#4/Don't rig up on the ramp.
Ok - I think this one just shows you're a bit of an ignorant selfish p.....Possible deserves a bit of abuse..:-). (Newbies - make sure yo're ready before backing down)

#5/Don't try and jump the launching queue
I'm a passive guy but with this one ITS ON!
When retrieving it's not who's first on the dock, it's who's first in the car queue

#6/Know what you are doing and be prepared if you launch at 4-5 am during silly season (Guilty on this one)
Do a few practice runs first during the day.
Do try and learn how to drive on/off a boat. My 12 year old kids were guns at it - it's pretty easy really

#7/Anchor distance
In a place with current (eg Westernport or South PPB) don't anchor in someone's burley trial
In Northern PPB it's more acceptable to anchor right near each other as there is little structure, no current and you need to be right on the mark

#8/Approaching/leaving a hot spot
Approach/leave at idle speed for at least 50-100m from the bow side of all the other boats

The one I struggle with is passing speed. This one seems to cause a lot of comment on this and other forums. I deliberately tend to pass anchored boats (at 100 Meters plus) at speed as if my boat's not on the plane it throws out a big wake and I assume this is better. I know I prefer it when anchored.

As I mentioned above, feel free to disagree. I'll be interested to hear what other views are on boat etiquette

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Silly season and boating etiquete

Post by 4liters » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:06 pm

#9 Look out for speed bumps kayaks
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

williwonder

Post by williwonder » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:42 pm

What is a reasonable distance to sound near an anchored boat? I have had some boats coming very near so far this year.
FFS find a spot away from otherswho are settled in.

PhilN

Post by PhilN » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:55 pm

For me personally....
If it's northern PPB and they are on a known mark/reef I'll go close
If they are obviously choosing to stay clear of the pack and find their own mark I will respect that and keep my distance

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:20 pm

Really good points there mate if you follow them I would be happy as for passing anchored boats 100 mt is heaps idiots drive through the middle

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:10 am

Good points. If we all be mindful of others no one will have a issue and we all have a good time

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:31 am

Great info
#7 twice casting distance to prevent tangles never directly behind and not too close in front.

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:42 am

Great post!
Can we pin this so it can be read as many times as possible?

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:19 am

#4/ If it's busy, try to vacate the jetty asap as well

Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

Post by Millzee » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:51 am

That's a great reminder to all. I too think that my boat is better passing at speed, nothing ***** me more than a boat slowing down just to pass "to do the right thing" and throwing out a huge wake. I was on PPB last season and sitting on about 40kph about 100 -150m from this bloke and his throwing his arms around yelling at me to slow down, WTF, it's a bay, it was a bit choppy anyway and my little 4.5m tinny shouldn't be upsetting him in his 6.5m half cabin. Unnecessary anger isn't going to make any ones day better, chill out and catch some bloody fish.

Return to “Snapper Fishing”