Pinkies at Range

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Pinkies at Range

Post by JS270 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:09 am

Once again the weather gods whilst kind with the temperature didn't do us any favours with the wind direction with the bay being as flat as a billiard table . Still given that I am no longer working I wanted to make the most of it just unwinding and forgetting the bast 40 year of hard work.

Fished as I have been for a while now right next to my car, doing this means that I have to get the baits out wide to the drop off areas otherwise its basically no good.

John and I were hoping to get a few decent sized reds for the session and initially we thought were were going to be in luck , sadly for John to turned out to be a very big ray that decided it didn't want to be in the same area. Nearly spooling John's Penn Squall 15 in one run but thankfully it parted company and didn't bother us again.

I was putting the baits out wide using two of my Century's being the Eliminator T800 and the other being theExcalibur "C" curve with them being matched to my Penn Squall 12 and 15. Both rod were throwing 150 gram leads mated to pulley rigs and 4/0 circle hooks baited with Salmon & Pilchards.

Similar to last year though the areas did give me 7 smaller pinkies with 4 coming back for a meal with me.

All in all a relaxed session that put a smile on my face and made me realise that there is a lot to look forward to in life , especially when your not having to go to work the next morning :-)

Hopefully on the next session I can get a few bigger models to bring home :mrgreen:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Pinkies at Range

Post by Lightningx » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:09 am

Great report mate. Nice catch and pics :thumbsup:

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:18 am

Top job mate, great catch.

If you don't mind where abouts is the area you are fishing and how far do you think you are casting out. Looking to take my elderly father in law some where that he doesn't need to walk far.

Cheers

JS270

Post by JS270 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:38 pm

KeenAds ,

I am casting out to around the 130 meter mark and this is with my surf gear . If you are wanting to take your dad have a look at Station pier , if you have a disabled sticker for the car you can drive on it .

Regards

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:06 pm

JS270 wrote:KeenAds ,

I am casting out to around the 130 meter mark and this is with my surf gear . If you are wanting to take your dad have a look at Station pier , if you have a disabled sticker for the car you can drive on it .

Regards
Wow thats a massive cast, I can only achieve around the 100m mark with 15ft surf rod. No my father in law doesn't have a disability sticker his knees are not the greatest and rather avoids walking thats why I was asking. Didn't want an exact spot just a general location. I have taken him to St Helens and he likes that because he can fish straight out of the car. I try and take him a couple times a year to get him out.

Thanks for the info.

LethalLeigh

Post by LethalLeigh » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:43 pm

anyone started to see any Red action yet around Carrum area?

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:03 pm

nice catch well done hope all is well how much are the tripod stands and roughly what do they weigh Cheers dazz

nooga27

Post by nooga27 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:10 pm

Good stuff mate! 130m is a mega cast! What rod setup/rig do you use to get that far? Good looking fish!
Red sky at night, Fisherman's delight

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:19 pm

Good start

JS270

Post by JS270 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:11 pm

Nooga27 ,

I have a number of outfits but generally running one of my Century rods mated to either Penn Squall 12 or 15 as well as a few different threadlines with the Ultegra XTB 5500 loaded with either braid or mono being ones that I currently run.

Distances for me are no problem as I have been teaching and competing for a number of years.

Have a look at this video as it is one that I use when presenting to a few clubs.

https://youtu.be/8t90BKXZDTY

Best distance in comp to date is 257 meters and when conditions are right I can hit 200 with a clipped down bait and small bait.

Regards

Return to “Snapper Fishing”