Drag set for snapper?

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
Hammy Y

Drag set for snapper?

Post by Hammy Y » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:37 am

Hey guys,
Keen to get into some Snapper fishing this upcoming season (my first ever, hoping to land at least 1 red)
Just wanted to know how to operate drag while boat fishing in PPB? (The rods will be in the holders most if the time)

Cheers,
Ham

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Drag set for snapper?

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:16 am

I seen people have little to no drag while rods been sotting there ans seen people with drag locked up. Either way seems to work.
I prefer half set so you can still get it out on the rod holder and set the hook

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:06 am

Bait runners are a popular reel when fishing for snapper.

However if fishing in tidal flow areas, then having your drag set is necessary.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:34 am

Also. If you're fishing with circle hooks then your drag should be set. I personally prefer as little drag as necessary to hold in the current and then I strike on the run using a J or suicide hook. Bait runners do make this easy but the ones I have are not the smoothest reels around to use. Palming the spool for the strike and then tightening the drag works for standard reels. Just remember to palm it before you strike or you can get a big birds nest if you forget!

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:46 am

I seem to have more luck with a locked drag though I use Penn slammer live liners ( baitrunner style reel) ... your mileage may vary.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Hammy Y

Post by Hammy Y » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:21 pm

skronkman wrote:Also. If you're fishing with circle hooks then your drag should be set. I personally prefer as little drag as necessary to hold in the current and then I strike on the run using a J or suicide hook. Bait runners do make this easy but the ones I have are not the smoothest reels around to use. Palming the spool for the strike and then tightening the drag works for standard reels. Just remember to palm it before you strike or you can get a big birds nest if you forget!
What does palming it mean in terms of setting a hook?

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:10 am

In PPB, while at anchor soaking baits, I run circles, and have the drag set tight enough where you can still pull line off the reels with out too much effort. When they hit, the rod will buckle into the water, and they will go on a run for about 5-10 seconds, once thats done, you can muscle them approx 1/2 way up, where they will go for a shorter run, then usually they will come to the boat after that. I dont like locked drag as I have lost fish when they start running, I prefer to just let them run in PPB, as there really isnt much for them to snag you on.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:20 am

Hammy Y wrote:
skronkman wrote:Also. If you're fishing with circle hooks then your drag should be set. I personally prefer as little drag as necessary to hold in the current and then I strike on the run using a J or suicide hook. Bait runners do make this easy but the ones I have are not the smoothest reels around to use. Palming the spool for the strike and then tightening the drag works for standard reels. Just remember to palm it before you strike or you can get a big birds nest if you forget!

If you're using a regular egg beater style reel and you have little drag set you need to put some friction on the spool before you strike. Either tighten the drag or put your palm against it. Tightening the drag takes more time and interferes with timing the strike I find. In theory you could cause a bust off but when snapper fishing with 20lb line and a 7' rod with slow medium-slow taper I've never had a problem. You still need to tighten the drag after the strike but the hook should now be set.

This is just how I do it, I've had people on my boat fish with set drag and I can't honestly say that they caught any less snapper than me. It's just a preference.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:24 am

Hammy Y wrote:
When you lift the rod to strike to ensure the hook penetrates the snapper boney mouth, if you do not put the palm of your hand around the spool to increase the drag pressure as the rod accelerates then suddenly stops the spool of the reel will if the drag is to low keep spinning ang you will get a birds nest on your reel.
I have gone away from circles as a man who likes to feel the fish take the bait and time my strike for snapper I use the two hook suicide rig with both hooks snelled light drag adjust as I go.

Hammy Y

Post by Hammy Y » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:53 am

Sounds good, cheers guys

Return to “Snapper Fishing”