Docklands

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
barwonboy

Re: Docklands

Post by barwonboy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:36 pm

Went out to docklands today with my mate for a 10 hour session, it was an on and off day with sometimes going an hour without a hit :o_0: . in the morning my mate and I were catching plenty of yellow fin gobys, but then my mate hooked something big and it snapped him off after about 3 seconds. after that more gobys and I decided to live line one under a float as yesterday when I was gutting salmon from docklands I saw small gobys in their guts. The goby under the float got smashed and got its tail bit off but no hookup. I then hooked a fat 25 cm salmon. And then more gobys aha. after lunch it was pretty quiet until I hooked something that felt weird. it didn't fight that much but it turned out to be a red mullet, apparently they taste delicious. Then at the last drop of the day I caught a crab on my line.
Attachments
IMG_3329.JPG
IMG_3314.JPG

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:38 pm

Red mullet
Attachments
IMG_3318.JPG
IMG_3318.JPG (110.12 KiB) Viewed 531 times

Yi1978

Post by Yi1978 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:02 pm

oh, a red mullet....never seen one or caught one before. well done.
may take my son with me tomorrow to docklands, maybe in the afternoon, see u there , yeah?
:cheers:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:12 pm

Well done mate good stuff :thumbsup:
Never seen a red mullet down there either.

bilby

Post by bilby » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:13 am

I caught a decent sized red mullet on the Yarra side (north wharf) many years ago. You never know what you're going to pull out there!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:33 am

im starting to think maybe the red mullet are more active during winter. ive caught quite a few recently and even going 10-12 fish in one session which is very unusual .

good work on the fish, next time take a metal lure (10gm one will do) and cast that out when the salmon are on the go, its a good way to catch them, just cast out and wind back in reasonably fast.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:26 am

I think a 2-3" paddle tail plastic will prove more effective for the salmon. Same technique but lets you slow it down for when they aren't as fired up. I like pearl slim swimz but any similar profile plastic will work. No need to go crazy light for the jighead I usually use 1/12 but there is no reason you can't go heavier if you need it for cast distance.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:39 am

he is landbased, even a 1/4oz jighead with a plastic wont cast as far as a 10gm metal slice will.
but i agree, a plastic is a lot more effective than a slug most times

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:05 pm

purple5ive wrote:he is landbased, even a 1/4oz jighead with a plastic wont cast as far as a 10gm metal slice will.
but i agree, a plastic is a lot more effective than a slug most times
cast distance won't mean too much at the docks most of the time
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:50 pm

holy cow guys!!! Today was a day I will never forget! I woke up and felt a bit tired and didn't think I was going to end up going to docklands but I picked myself up and off I went. I rocked up around 7:00 with no wind a cloudless sky. I met a plumber that wasn't working until 9 so I had a good chat with him for about 2 hours, it was a very quiet 2 hours aswell. then out of no where there was huge splashes right at my feet. I looked over the edge and there were about 200 salmon having a feeding frenzy on small mullet. I quickly clipped on my gold halco twisty and instantly I was on. I then let the plumber join with my spare rod and he used a blade with two hooks, he hooked two salmon on the same lure at once. The salmon were super hungry and they were literally jumping onto the pier. When I lifted my lure out of the water salmon would jump up and try and get it. for the morning session I got 12 decent sized salmon. I then had lunch and afterwards i ran back to the pier. when I returned there were no jumps and didn't look like salmon were still there. But I tied on a little hard body minnow lure made of hard plastic and instantly I could see about 10 salmon following and hitting it. for about 30 minutes it was pure mayhem!! I was pulling up a fish everycast and splashes were everywhere. I ended up with 24 salmon for the day and I can't wait to smoke a few and cook the rest up with some chips. I will remember this day till the day I die because it's the first time I've ever bagged out. :banana: :super: :thumbsup: :water:

Return to “Snapper Fishing”