Fresh bait - How?

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
Hammy Y

Fresh bait - How?

Post by Hammy Y » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:11 pm

Hey guys,

Just wondering how do you all catch/source fresh bait for fishing in PPB, could be used for anything; Snapper, Gummies or Flatties.

Cheers,
Ham

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Fresh bait - How?

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:00 pm

Buy some squid jigs and catch squid?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Toady king

Post by Toady king » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:21 pm

Hammy Y wrote:Hey guys,

Just wondering how do you all catch/source fresh bait for fishing in PPB, could be used for anything; Snapper, Gummies or Flatties.

Cheers,
Ham
Go to the fish munger is an option. I've never done it personally and don't know how effective it is as the have to bleed every fish that's caught and with fresh bait you want the blood in the fish still

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:19 pm

Cheers,
Ham
Ham I haven't fished PPB in a long time regardless first thing I would be doing is finding potential fish holding structure such as reefs, weed patches even jetties etc.

Use your sounder to find bait schools around the structure or burley up current of the structure and use sabiki bait jigs.

Otherwise drift over sandy reef and weed areas using squid jigs both casting and just drifting. All the best

4liters

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:17 pm

Toady king wrote:

Cheers,
Ham
Go to the fish munger is an option. I've never done it personally and don't know how effective it is as the have to bleed every fish that's caught and with fresh bait you want the blood in the fish still
Fish monger fish work fine. I've never seen a fish from there that had been bled so I don't think that's an issue. I'd definitely rate food grade fish from the fish shop higher than whatever comes out of the bait freezer, at least until I see tackle shop owners and servo attendants cook up a block of gotcha pillies and eat them.

You can usually get most decent bait varieties from the fish shop, my local has sardines/pilchards, silver whiting, mussels and salmon available regularly and often pike, silver trevally, garfish as well so plenty to choose from. You can sometimes find scraps and offcuts that you can buy cheap for burley. Probably best not to get something obviously from outside of Victoria due to the risk of disease, plus the local species you're targeting probably won't recognise it.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:54 pm

sorry to cut in but i,ve got a question so for example at brighton pier there are tons of bait fish about 100mm brown on top silver flank no idea what they are maybe mullet can i use something like a sabiki bait jig to catch them for bait or do i need to idenitfiy what type of fish they are first so as not to get fines the salmon etc smash them

4liters

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:01 pm

Get the rec fishing guide on your phone and when you pull one up you can look at the app and see what it is and if any size restrictions apply

Toady king

Post by Toady king » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:15 pm

4liters wrote:
Toady king wrote:
Hammy Y wrote: Fish monger fish work fine. I've never seen a fish from there that had been bled so I don't think that's an issue. I'd definitely rate food grade fish from the fish shop higher than whatever comes out of the bait freezer, at least until I see tackle shop owners and servo attendants cook up a block of gotcha pillies and eat them.
I can and may be wrong, but I was under the impression that food grade fish had to be bled, unless I'm minting that up with Coles and woolworth

4liters

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:26 pm

Toady king wrote:
4liters wrote:
Toady king wrote:
Hammy Y wrote: Fish monger fish work fine. I've never seen a fish from there that had been bled so I don't think that's an issue. I'd definitely rate food grade fish from the fish shop higher than whatever comes out of the bait freezer, at least until I see tackle shop owners and servo attendants cook up a block of gotcha pillies and eat them.
I can and may be wrong, but I was under the impression that food grade fish had to be bled, unless I'm minting that up with Coles and woolworth
Maybe for livestock, but I doubt anyone has the time to bleed every single sardine that gets landed

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:52 pm

4liters wrote:
Toady king wrote:

Cheers,
Ham
Fish monger fish work fine. I've never seen a fish from there that had been bled so I don't think that's an issue. I'd definitely rate food grade fish from the fish shop higher than whatever comes out of the bait freezer, at least until I see tackle shop owners and servo attendants cook up a block of gotcha pillies and eat them.

You can usually get most decent bait varieties from the fish shop, my local has sardines/pilchards, silver whiting, mussels and salmon available regularly and often pike, silver trevally, garfish as well so plenty to choose from. You can sometimes find scraps and offcuts that you can buy cheap for burley. Probably best not to get something obviously from outside of Victoria due to the risk of disease, plus the local species you're targeting probably won't recognise it.
A block of pillies not so much, but I might take a feed of larger silver whiting home tomorrow, leave the smaller ones for the bait packs ;-)

Return to “Snapper Fishing”