New Gear - Any good?

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Re: New Gear - Any good?

Post by dazz999 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:55 pm

it will work fine the rods not a problem the reel will do the job the southern snapper rod i bought 1 the other month feel great as with waynes southern whiting rods there made to he specs as there is noway he could build as many as he could sell i asked him about the guides on the southern snapper would handle braid answer was no problem if you like whiting fishing next time you in the shop have a feel of the 2 different model rods

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:12 pm

for rods you can get away with some pretty cheap gear as long as you are just bait fishing. Even more so if you use circle hooks. I had no issue landing gummies and rays with my Kmart rods.

If you expect to be casting lures a lot it is better to buy a nicer rod.

For entry level reels it's hard to go past a Sienna or a Penn Slammer
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:22 pm

That was a great thing about Ozfish TV they used affordable tackle.

Hammy Y

Post by Hammy Y » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:33 pm

dazz999 wrote:it will work fine the rods not a problem the reel will do the job the southern snapper rod i bought 1 the other month feel great as with waynes southern whiting rods there made to he specs as there is noway he could build as many as he could sell i asked him about the guides on the southern snapper would handle braid answer was no problem if you like whiting fishing next time you in the shop have a feel of the 2 different model rods
Yeh whiting fishing is my favourite target at the moment, have been going out with my uncle down in western port and catching 45-50centrimeters! Just cant get down that way often enough unfortunately

cahoona
Has liked: 15 times

Post by cahoona » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:16 pm

a great lenghth for a snapper rod in a boat all mine are 7 ft or 7.6

Hammy Y

Post by Hammy Y » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:41 pm

mooneyz wrote:Cheaper gear can last just as long if you take care of them but dont have the feel as the mid range to more expensive models do. And if you plan to sell them used you will gain more back on the higher end items. For example a Saragosa is 4years old and people are still selling them for just a little less than they bought it for originally. Same applies for top end like the saltigas and stellas whereas the lower end gear will probably not sell for much, if at all.
Yeah good point, although im probably going to try and hang on to most of my gear as i hope to be fishing for many years to come!

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:22 pm

If you are fishing with bait then it's all about your terminal tackle and how you are presenting the bait/getting it to the snapper. Whether it's on an el cheapo/mac daddy combo isn't going to phase the fish. The only thing more expensive gear is going to do is make your fishing that little bit smoother or offer some extra functions like a bait runner reel.

The gear you have is perfect to start with... If any of it fails when pulling in a fish you always have your hands to finish the job.

I would be putting your focus into buying quality terminal tackle and most importantly learning the techniques to catching snapper!

Hammy Y

Post by Hammy Y » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:46 pm

yepi'mon wrote:If you are fishing with bait then it's all about your terminal tackle and how you are presenting the bait/getting it to the snapper. Whether it's on an el cheapo/mac daddy combo isn't going to phase the fish. The only thing more expensive gear is going to do is make your fishing that little bit smoother or offer some extra functions like a bait runner reel.

The gear you have is perfect to start with... If any of it fails when pulling in a fish you always have your hands to finish the job.

I would be putting your focus into buying quality terminal tackle and most importantly learning the techniques to catching snapper!
I reckon ive got all the right stuff except im lacking in swivels that i actually trust! Ive got some big barrels on at the moment which i bought in a value-pack type thing but I have a preference for rollers, not sure why, and i dont have any currently rated 30-40lb+, so ill have to pick some up.

In terms of hooks im using double suicides but im starting to hear that circles are the best way to do it, thoughts?

Cheers,
Ham

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:06 am

Hammy Y wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:If you are fishing with bait then it's all about your terminal tackle and how you are presenting the bait/getting it to the snapper. Whether it's on an el cheapo/mac daddy combo isn't going to phase the fish. The only thing more expensive gear is going to do is make your fishing that little bit smoother or offer some extra functions like a bait runner reel.

I reckon ive got all the right stuff except im lacking in swivels that i actually trust! Ive got some big barrels on at the moment which i bought in a value-pack type thing but I have a preference for rollers, not sure why, and i dont have any currently rated 30-40lb+, so ill have to pick some up.

In terms of hooks im using double suicides but im starting to hear that circles are the best way to do it, thoughts?

Cheers,
Ham
I exclusively use Rigmaster swivels and snaps now, heaps cheaper than from the tackle shops and I have had zero issue with them so far. Free postage over $20 and they also sell hooks, ezy rigs and a bunch of other **** too
www.rigmastertackle.com/

My standard running sinker setup for snapper and gummies is as follows:
braid mainline [FG knot] rod length of 20-50lb mono leader [smart ezy rig][snap swivel] 50-100cm of 20-50lb mono [hook]

This lets me take off the ezy rig so I can change rigs to a pre-tied paternoster or clip a lure on without needing to cut the line. I use pretty much the same thing on my lighter rods too, just with lighter line
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:16 am

4liters wrote:
Hammy Y wrote:

Cheers,
Ham
I exclusively use Rigmaster swivels and snaps now, heaps cheaper than from the tackle shops and I have had zero issue with them so far. Free postage over $20 and they also sell hooks, ezy rigs and a bunch of other sh*t too
http://www.rigmastertackle.com/

My standard running sinker setup for snapper and gummies is as follows:
braid mainline [FG knot] rod length of 20-50lb mono leader [smart ezy rig][snap swivel] 50-100cm of 20-50lb mono [hook]

This lets me take off the ezy rig so I can change rigs to a pre-tied paternoster or clip a lure on without needing to cut the line. I use pretty much the same thing on my lighter rods too, just with lighter line
Ever have problems with the ezy rig getting caught on the fg knot?

Return to “Snapper Fishing”