Trailing hook on soft plastics

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
LINwAd

Trailing hook on soft plastics

Post by LINwAd » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:36 pm

Hey all.

After todays experences dealing with pinkies that wouldnt fully commit to eating my soft plastic, brings the question, does anyone use a trailing hook and a soft plastic to get those fish that just smash the tail?

Currently using 4" Zman StreakZ curly tails with size 1/0 hook. But wanting to know if people have success (without too many snags) with a trailing hook setup?

Pictures of your rigs would be perfect if you use this trailing hook idea!

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Trailing hook on soft plastics

Post by rb85 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:43 pm

Possibly try a Samaki Vibelicious style lure or place a stinger hook on the tail threading the line to the main hook with a threading needle if you can picture what I'm suggesting.

LINwAd

Post by LINwAd » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:12 pm

rb85 wrote:Possibly try a Samaki Vibelicious style lure or place a stinger hook on the tail threading the line to the main hook with a threading needle if you can picture what I'm suggesting.
I am loving the curly tail softies at the moment so Im unsure on how to rig that.
Using a standard jig head 1/6 oz and 4" plastic.

Was thinking to thread some 20lb leader through the body of the plastic and have it jump out just before the tail with a hook on it.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:19 pm

Pinkies don't usually mess around and will smash plastics. Stingers are definitely doable. Tie an extra bit of leader to the eye on the jig and just pin the stinger near the tail. It will kill the action though. I've never bothered as it's too much messing around but I've seen mazman use it on bream. He's only done it on long Worm pattern plastics though.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:50 pm

Try a smaller plastic. Pinkies usually don't mess around. So you will Def get them. These must be the real small ones. If that's the case use a 3 inch plastic and smaller hook to suit

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:30 pm

I've tried a trailing hook before, but it sure does stuff up the action. I prefer the original way of rigging plastics as they work for me.

Here's some photos of snapper I caught on plastics on the weekend
Attachments
IMG_1346.JPG
IMG_1344.JPG

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:01 am

barwonboy wrote:I've tried a trailing hook before, but it sure does stuff up the action. I prefer the original way of rigging plastics as they work for me.

nice work on the plastics

davo_j
Has liked: 1 time

Post by davo_j » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:53 am

barwonboy wrote:I've tried a trailing hook before, but it sure does stuff up the action. I prefer the original way of rigging plastics as they work for me.

Nice Catch!!! just wondering where you caught these rippers and whether it was land based. also what kind of soft plastics were they. Sorry if i have asked some obvious questions there. i'm new to soft plastics fishing and have only been able to land juvenile Australian salmons. Andy advise/tips will be greatly appreciated! :victory:

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:45 am

davo_j wrote:

Nice Catch!!! just wondering where you caught these rippers and whether it was land based. also what kind of soft plastics were they. Sorry if i have asked some obvious questions there. i'm new to soft plastics fishing and have only been able to land juvenile Australian salmons. Andy advise/tips will be greatly appreciated! :victory:

hey mate,i caught these guys in docklands around 9;00 in the morning. the soft plastic i was using was a 3 inch squidgies wriggler in blood worm colour. all i did was cast out as far as i could and give my rod a few twitches and id wind in the slack.

davo_j
Has liked: 1 time

Post by davo_j » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:59 pm

barwonboy wrote:
davo_j wrote:

hey mate,i caught these guys in docklands around 9;00 in the morning. the soft plastic i was using was a 3 inch squidgies wriggler in blood worm colour. all i did was cast out as far as i could and give my rod a few twitches and id wind in the slack.
Thanks for getting back to me! i may give this ago this weekend and hope they're still around :water:

Return to “Snapper Fishing”