Drifting for snapper - Port phillip bay

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
williwonder

Re: Drifting for snapper - Port phillip bay

Post by williwonder » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:42 am

Thanks Fitzy I will give it a go.
Should I have the sounder on going to way points or just sound when I get there?
I generally have it on navigation so I can steer in a direct line to the waypoint, but the sounder seems to be work at speed in our boat as it is not that fast.

williwonder

Post by williwonder » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:45 am

Thanks Fitzy, do you sound while moving to waypoints or stay on navigation to ensure a direct path to the spot?

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:52 am

williwonder wrote:Thanks Fitzy, do you sound while moving to waypoints or stay on navigation to ensure a direct path to the spot?
Bit of both, instead of hammering to each spot go at half / quarter speed and have a sound around, have come across fish in the middle of nowhere, otherwise we get roughly to a spot and putt around ( 2knots) until we sound something.
Another tip is to drift on the back side of a large pack of boats, work out where the tide is pushing the berley and sound around. Did this on wednesday and plucked a few away from the pack.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:05 am

williwonder wrote:Thanks Fitzy I will give it a go.
Should I have the sounder on going to way points or just sound when I get there?
I generally have it on navigation so I can steer in a direct line to the waypoint, but the sounder seems to be work at speed in our boat as it is not that fast.
if you sounder screen is big enough, then you can spli the screen to view the GPS and the Sonar.
Thats what i do, and then switch in between when you see fish or want a better view

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:09 am

fitzy90 wrote:
williwonder wrote:Thanks Fitzy, do you sound while moving to waypoints or stay on navigation to ensure a direct path to the spot?
Bit of both, instead of hammering to each spot go at half / quarter speed and have a sound around, have come across fish in the middle of nowhere, otherwise we get roughly to a spot and putt around ( 2knots) until we sound something.
Another tip is to drift on the back side of a large pack of boats, work out where the tide is pushing the berley and sound around. Did this on wednesday and plucked a few away from the pack.
So are you driving into the wind so that when you get a mark, the boat will drift back over it?

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:15 am

Mattblack wrote:
fitzy90 wrote:
So are you driving into the wind so that when you get a mark, the boat will drift back over it?
Not really, find the fish first then mark a man over board mark on your sounder, then drive off them, work out your drift line taking the tide and wind into account and drift back over them.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:45 am

Fitzy. If you press WPT WPT "waypoint waypoint" twice it marks your current position as a mark not a man overboard. Haven't tried on the newer sounders but I believe the functionality should still be there

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:48 am

I drift a lot. Both in my tinny and on the charter boat. usually go to a spot if it looks good do a drift. If we get a hit then mark the spot. Move back and drift again, if we get hit a second time on the same spot then I will go 20 meters "up drift" from the spot and anchor.
Drift speed needs to be less than 0.7knts.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:50 am

ducky wrote:Fitzy. If you press WPT WPT "waypoint waypoint" twice it marks your current position as a mark not a man overboard. Haven't tried on the newer sounders but I believe the functionality should still be there
Cheers mate, ill give it a crack on sunday

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:28 am

ChrisAbout wrote:You wouldnt want to try drifting for snapper in Western Port, or would you?
I've been able to drift around coronet bay without any problems. Didn't catch any snapper though
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Snapper Fishing”