Post by purple5ive » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:09 am

well done mate, ctacking fish.

am looking to go out tgis weekend as well, but not sure where to launch loll

was there many boats launching at blackrock? its either launch there or carrum

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Snapper - Where you at?

Post by Mattblack » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:35 am

yepi'mon wrote:Thanks for the tips guys, would have posted this yesterday but had a busy day once we got back from the water! -----

Ended up getting out on the water at about 4.30am (from Black Rock) and sounded around to Rickets point in about 7-17m of water. Still not an expert on reading a sounder but it looked like there was a lot of smaller fish showing up around that 15-17m water depth. Kept looking for the big boys but decided to anchor up just after first light so that we didn't miss the premium time. There was a tonne of boats out in that area but we picked our own spot about 2-300m away on what we thought looked promising on the sounder..

Berley'd hard using a mix of pilchards and pellets with not much luck for the first hour and half. After that I am glad to say that things picked up and I am no longer a snapper virgin!! We ended up picking up 3 good sized fish the biggest being a 5.5kg. We also lost a few fish on the bite which I think is due to the way I was setting hooks into the baits... will know better for next time. All up I would say we missed out on 3-4 fish that gave a good yank on the rods.

At one point we had a couple of rods go at the same time, pulled up the big boy but lost the other one... then the bite went quiet. I am assuming we spooked anything under the boat...

Anyway, perfect morning for fishing... flat as anything and a clear sunset. Some bi catch was a big banjo ray and a tiny little gummy shark.

Baits used were silver whiting and pilchards and both were getting chomped. Rigs were a double hooked floating rig with a running sinker. Had a couple of snatchers out but no love on those!

Great report...how many hp have you got on that tinny (looks like a good setup)

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:36 am

yepi'mon wrote:Thanks for the tips guys, would have posted this yesterday but had a busy day once we got back from the water! -----

Ended up getting out on the water at about 4.30am (from Black Rock) and sounded around to Rickets point in about 7-17m of water. Still not an expert on reading a sounder but it looked like there was a lot of smaller fish showing up around that 15-17m water depth. Kept looking for the big boys but decided to anchor up just after first light so that we didn't miss the premium time. There was a tonne of boats out in that area but we picked our own spot about 2-300m away on what we thought looked promising on the sounder..

Berley'd hard using a mix of pilchards and pellets with not much luck for the first hour and half. After that I am glad to say that things picked up and I am no longer a snapper virgin!! We ended up picking up 3 good sized fish the biggest being a 5.5kg. We also lost a few fish on the bite which I think is due to the way I was setting hooks into the baits... will know better for next time. All up I would say we missed out on 3-4 fish that gave a good yank on the rods.

At one point we had a couple of rods go at the same time, pulled up the big boy but lost the other one... then the bite went quiet. I am assuming we spooked anything under the boat...

Anyway, perfect morning for fishing... flat as anything and a clear sunset. Some bi catch was a big banjo ray and a tiny little gummy shark.

Baits used were silver whiting and pilchards and both were getting chomped. Rigs were a double hooked floating rig with a running sinker. Had a couple of snatchers out but no love on those!

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:51 pm

purple5ive wrote:well done mate, ctacking fish.

am looking to go out tgis weekend as well, but not sure where to launch loll

was there many boats launching at blackrock? its either launch there or carrum

Hi Mate, there was about 3-4 boats in the que when we got there just after 4am. Every park in the lower section car park was taken up by trailers and there were a few in the top section.

In saying that, it wasn't to much of a pain to launch... probably only waited 15 minutes. The downside of black rock at the moment is half the pier is collapsed so the boats just launched and waiting to dock are bunched up at peak times.

I would imagine this weekend is going to be heaps busier as well..

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:55 pm

Mattblack wrote:

Thanks mate. It's got a 70hp Yamaha on it and it's a Brooker Discovery 525 centre console. We love it as a good intermediate setup for the bay and lakes. Plenty of fishing room front and back and we feel comfortable in a bit of chop (have navigated in 1-1.5m). Have fished 6 people in there pretty comfortably.

Return to “Snapper Fishing”