Snapper racks

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
8BALL

Snapper racks

Post by 8BALL » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:11 pm

Snapper racks

was after everyone's are snapper racks worth it or not?

Looking at getting these - which seem quite good value compared to others out there.

Or should I just stick my traditional rod holders?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112184090356

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Snapper racks

Post by skronkman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:45 pm

I had the old 3 way rod holders in my previous boat. They were cheap and did the job. My current boat has something similar to what you've pictured and they are much nicer to use and gives a good spread, very solid construction. I don't know what they're usually worth but depending on suitability for your boat I reckon it would be worth the money. You won't want to go back to the old 3 way after using them.

Snapper racks, rocket launchers and a solid, sturdy bait board are the best additions I've done and couldn't be without now.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:30 pm

skronkman wrote: Snapper racks, rocket launchers and a solid, sturdy bait board are the best additions I've done and couldn't be without now.
This. And add in 4-6 a side combing racks for when you're towing.

I'd rather go custom than eBay specials. Atleast then they'll actually fit your boat perfectly and you can make design adjustments to suit. How much better than the standard 3 ways are they? Well ever had the wind hold the boat side on to the tide? Try fishing 4 rods out one side with the 3 ways then work out if racks are worth it...

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:54 pm

I had mine made by maquarries 5 in each corner 4 over the top of the bait board and I can add another 4 each side which I rarely use except for westernport when the wind and tide are against each other. They were not cheap $1500 but extremely versatile

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:21 am

su888 wrote:Snapper racks

was after everyone's are snapper racks worth it or not?

Looking at getting these - which seem quite good value compared to others out there.

Or should I just stick my traditional rod holders?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112184090356
Be careful because what is sold as stainless steel, is not necessarily high quality, and will rust.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:08 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Be careful because what is sold as stainless steel, is not necessarily high quality, and will rust.
This is definitely true, particularly for anything purchased from China. My el cheapo 3 ways started to rust from day 1 and even true marine grade stainless can get some corrosion eventually around the welds.

this ad does state that it is 316 (marine grade stainless) and is manufactured in Australia. They also provide their business name and a phone number, which would be unusual if providing cheap and nasty products. It's no guarantee of quality but the signs point in the right direction on this one in my mind.

Fahro

Post by Fahro » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:15 pm

I bought these (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bell-Marine- ... SwFV9X0Pzb). Relatively easy installation, depending on where you're current rod holders are, and in what direction they're angled, some adjusting/grinding is required.

I love them, nice even and clean spread out of baits, also aesthetically appealing

Feathor

Post by Feathor » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:37 pm

I would buy them, that's a pretty good price.
I had some aluminium ones made and spent $1300

Return to “Snapper Fishing”