baitcaster reel/overhead reels

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
bowl
Has liked: 292 times

baitcaster reel/overhead reels

Post by bowl » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:59 pm

pflueger_echelon_baitcaster_reel__06245__06070.1344920907.400.400.jpg
pflueger_echelon_baitcaster_reel__06245__06070.1344920907.400.400.jpg (12.83 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
I have picked some daiwa sensor n exceler baitcaster rods for snapper season.10-17 6-14 lb and wondering would style of reels, like the pflueger or the old trusted shimano tld be the go.
Last edited by bowl on Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: baitcaster reels

Post by ducky » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:22 pm

From what I know about baitcasters (and its not much) it's hard to find one that will take the abuse of saltwater.

Flathead37

Re: baitcaster reel/overhead reels

Post by Flathead37 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:29 pm

The low profile ones would be ok in PPB , TLD15 would be overkill but are good for WP have a shimano Calcutta 400 that I use for snapper in PPB also a Curado which am hoping to put to use on the reds this year . Abu make a Revo saltwater model which would be good, has good line capacity Snapper don't take huge 100m runs ,but you still need a decent amount of line in case a pesky big ray grabs your bait .

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:28 am

ducky wrote:From what I know about baitcasters (and its not much) it's hard to find one that will take the abuse of saltwater.
I have to agree most baitcasters would not be upto the job -- I use Penn 501 OHs in Westernport with 20 lb mono these reels have been out of production for 12 or more years so I always keep an eye out for second hand units at the right price
The reason is they do last well with the riggers of both salt water and as a kayak reel -- I can put the reel under water with not ill effects ( there are no one way clutchs or bearings the seize up )
of cause the boating guys don't get the reals under water as much as we do

However PPB I prefer to just use my Westernport whiting gear - penn 260 slammer with 10 lb braid ( cheap and effective )
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:59 am

Lpb's have never really had a salt use, so never really made for it. Abu have the smaller revo salt, Shimano the larger Tranx. Unless you go the small barrels (Calcutta, Ambassador 5xxx). A small lpb could be used, they just very rarely are.

As for charter specials, TLDs etc. They'd feel like 37kg game reels on those rods

Owdixi

Post by Owdixi » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Just my two cents...sorry for bumping!

I just sent my 9 y/o grandson a Revo S Gen 4 reel https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-baitcasting-reels/ After his last visit he said he wanted one like mine. I'm still using original Revo's with a multitude of SX's. Sweet reels and bullet proof.

During lunch at work I used to stand on a maintenance stand....about 24" above the floor....and practice casting & pitchin lures into a roll of duct tape maybe 20' away. Guys laughed at me but there they were outside hitting the tops off of dandelions with golf clubs. Make sure you use a heavy enough lure. I'd suggest 3/8 oz something at least. With the thumb bar pushed & the line ready to release tighten the round spool tensioner located on the handle side so the weight of the lure doesn't pull line off the spool. Back off the spool tensioner knob ever so slightly until the line SLOWLY unravels from the spool. Once the bait hits the ground there should be NO backlash. Make EZ short casts and if you start to get backlashes start advancing the magnet setting.

There's plenty of YouTube vids to watch but the bottom line is to practice. Start with 10 or 12# mono or 20 lb braid. Just remember to put mono backing on first then braid. Don't get discouraged and never get rid of your spinning rods. They all have a place & time.
Last edited by Owdixi on Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:19 pm

ducky wrote:From what I know about baitcasters (and its not much) it's hard to find one that will take the abuse of saltwater.
I've got one now that's lasted 3 decent trips to the nt.

It's pretty much sealed as good as you can...but I'm washing it in fresh at the end off each day.

But eventually the salt get everything .

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:12 pm

I'm investing in some kastking rover reels they get some good reviews.

Ebay have them.

website https://www.kastking.com/kastking-rover ... p0135.html

Here is a youtube of the small 40R model...

part 1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMr0Ko7q6RU

part 2 tear down) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSXCmuNQAlk&t=228s

He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Sorry to drag up a very old post but i have to ask in what situation are you guys using baitcasters for snapper?

Would i be correct in guessing you are using them for casting soft plastics? And if so, what are the advantages of using a baitcaster over a spin reel?
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:17 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:16 pm
Sorry to drag up a very old post but i have to ask in what situation are you guys using baitcasters for snapper?

Would i be correct in guessing you are using them for casting soft plastics? And if so, what are the advantages of using a baitcaster over a spin reel?
Mostly baitcast reel is used for the accuracy to cast lures into tight snaggy spots, like cod fishing. One of baitcast reel main advantage.

Baitcast usually has more line capacity too in comparison to it's size, especially overhead reels, and they also have more 'feel'. Good for vertical drop and trolling. This is another main advantage and why people use for saltwater fishing.

Overhead reels with level drag can also be useful, it can change the drag from zero to full in one crank, so you can let some line out and set the hook in an instant. Can be useful for 'picky' fish.

But yes, personally and generally I feel spinning reel is easier for saltwater fishing if it doesn't require a lot of line. Not worth the hassle of possible bird nest, saltwater proofing, etc. I use low profile baitcast reels for its accuracy in fresh water, but doesn't mean people can't use it for any others.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Snapper Fishing”