Service I have encountered at different tackle stores!

Rod Bender

Re: Service I have encountered at different tackle stores!

Post by Rod Bender » Sun May 03, 2015 9:45 am

Heading off soon for the usual Sunday ritual...a visit to the local store, Boats & More (B & M, Shepparton CA). They open for 4 hours on a Sunday. All going well Richard will make me a coffee as long as he is not to busy, despite the fact I have been unable to spend much $$$ of late. Sunday's are good there as I get along well with the Sunday crew. I believe their prices on many of their lines are as good as you will get in store anywhere. Ecogear ZX blades are around $18, Daiwas TD Woofers $20 (have seen them for $25 in other stores). The common Rapala lures sell for $15 each...even their F9 spotted dogs!

Downsides, they are not the most organised of stores...sometimes things can't be found. This may be made worse by the fact that the Sunday staff do not work much there during the week. Another very annoying aspect, at times when stock arrives, a particular staff member takes his pick of lures or whatever before they go out on the shelf. They have sales at times but usually to clear slow moving items from what I can tell.

We also have a local Tackle World...Trellys. More expensive than B & M but better to deal with in some regards. They have turned a lot of staff over in the last year. So if I want to get a decent discount, I have to track down the manager. He is good and will help me out. Usually the first place I go for reels and rods. They have good sales at times as well.

When I visit my sister in Rosanna, this normally involves a visit to Aussie Angler in Greensborough. Another store in Sunshine has caught my attention (thanks to Wokka)...Kolliou's. Have visited it a couple times when I have been in a hurry. Need to revisit this place with a day to spare! :)
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:07 pm

sloth wrote:If you think lavo bcf is bad don't go to braybrook!!!
Totally agree about Braybook but have you tried Taylors Lakes they ask you for fishing advice!!!!

brybry

Post by brybry » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:54 pm

Usually go into these shops after having done my research online and knowing specifically what I want to get. Then just grab it, head to the counter, pay and leave.

The whole 'been out lately' small talk bores me to tears, and I cant say I've ever truly received any useful advice from any staff that I couldn't find online or wasn't bleedingly obvious.

As long as they have what I want, at a price I want, then they'll get my business

Keep your expectations low and avoid disappointment, I say.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:03 pm

brybry wrote:Usually go into these shops after having done my research online and knowing specifically what I want to get. Then just grab it, head to the counter, pay and leave.

The whole 'been out lately' small talk bores me to tears, and I cant say I've ever truly received any useful advice from any staff that I couldn't find online or wasn't bleedingly obvious.

As long as they have what I want, at a price I want, then they'll get my business

If you're doing that you might as well buy it online, a lot of the time it'll be cheaper than in store and you don't have to talk to anyone. The role of the brick and mortar tackle shop is pretty quickly becoming outdated with the amount of information easily available online. In the past they were one of the few ways to get advice for fishing and could charge for their products accordingly, but times have changed.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:43 pm

brybry wrote:Usually go into these shops after having done my research online and knowing specifically what I want to get. Then just grab it, head to the counter, pay and leave.

My thoughts exactly do your research and get some advice from the forum the guys here are more than knowledgeable enough to steer you in the right direction. That way you are in and out without any hassles and you get exactly what you want. Mind you BCF and Tackle World do have some cracker sale items from time to time so its worth taking advantage of when they are on.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:56 pm

Sales are good! Asking bcf for advice is like asking McDonald's for a whopper!

Independent stores are always happy to see you, give u in there opinion the best advice and if your a regular they'll always knock a few dollars off at the till.. I've shopped online only a few times and personally I didn't like the experience I'll happily pay a couple of bucks extra to get what I want when I want it. But each to there own ey..
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:57 pm

on the other hand, i have been given information from a couple of tackle stores that i wouldn't have found online. the information gets better the more often you go in obviously

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:09 pm

Complete angler Geelong,great service, ripper sales
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:59 pm

BIG GAV wrote:Sales are good! Asking bcf for advice is like asking McDonald's for a whopper!

Independent stores are always happy to see you, give u in there opinion the best advice and if your a regular they'll always knock a few dollars off at the till.. I've shopped online only a few times and personally I didn't like the experience I'll happily pay a couple of bucks extra to get what I want when I want it. But each to there own ey..
I couldn't agree more Gav :thumbsup: I like just browsing through various gear without a care in the world and everyone in the store is there for the same reason because they love fishing. Online stores remind me of a bank that wants your business but dosen't really want to speak to you :down:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:34 pm

Boonanza wrote:
BIG GAV wrote:Sales are good! Asking bcf for advice is like asking McDonald's for a whopper!

I couldn't agree more Gav :thumbsup: I like just browsing through various gear without a care in the world and everyone in the store is there for the same reason because they love fishing. Online stores remind me of a bank that wants your business but dosen't really want to speak to you :down:
Yeah mate local independent stores are great for service! Tips hotspots reports all the norm, rick at aussie angler is a prime example of a independt store owner always happy to go the extra mile to be sure his got a happy customer
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Return to “Tackle Store Reviews”