Service I have encountered at different tackle stores!

Titch

Re: Service I have encountered at different tackle stores!

Post by Titch » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:24 pm

I must give a heads up to the Caltex in Mallacoota.
The lady that served me knows her stuff and gives good information, local fishing Team I think.
I use to use Cranbourne tackle shop on the Highway, but the last few years they want to Talk not serve.
Cheers.
Titch

passport1980

Post by passport1980 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:12 pm

adamk wrote:
Mikey87 wrote:Credit where credit's due -

Normally I am not a fan of service at BCF. I've been to a heap of their stores, both here and in Brisbane, and I've got to say that their service can range hugely. There have definitely been some reasonable employees at various stores who seem to know a bit about the local area and products however I think most of us will agree that they would be the exception, not the rule - in most cases they seem to either not know anything or really not care - they just push the price tag.

In saying all of that; I stopped in at BCF Laverton yesterday to pick up some new jig heads... Needless to say, ended up going on a bit of a wander and decided I'd grab a new rod and some extra bits & bobs while I was there. I really do have to highly commend one of their staff - a gent named Sammy. This bloke was the sort of guy I would want to have working with me if I owned a tackle shop - friendly, extremely knowledgeable, helpful, & patient. He was more than happy to spend the time, answer my questions, and help me find the right rod for my setup - even though it was reasonably cheaper than what I had originally intended on getting. Major props for actually taking the time to tell me a fair bit about other brands of rods than the two majors as well - he was all about giving me the info to make the right choice. He even got a 2500 stradic ci4+ out of the display (the reel I have at home which I was matching the rod too) to try on about 10 different rods to check balance etc.

So yeah - many thanks again & highly recommend that if you're in BCF at Laverton & want some help that you track him down. Top bloke.

Cheers.

Mike.
that the old bald guy or the 30's+ short back an side guy ? because both of them went out there way for me when i was looking for vibes

That is interesting. I went to Laverton BCF awhile ago and explained I was starting out on Soft Plastics etc. And wanted to give braid a go as I was just starting to hook a few. He nearly cuts me off-

"Don't bother mate. Doesn't make a difference. Too much bother."

"Oh....ok" I am lost for words. "I am just looking to have stronger line to put on a small reel- something I can throw lures around and still get distance."

"Bigger fish? Just use this mate" He pulls a 'Rogue Homebrand spool of 60lb mono from under the counter"

I am still lost for words. ".............hmmm" I think I actually said 'hmmm'

"Just get a bigger reel mate. This stuff is 5 bucks" He lets out

"Look I don't think a huge reel with 60 lb mono is going to work for what I want. Could you imagine trying to catch a fish on a light jig head and small plastic with this stuff" I grab the Marlin mono and I am sure one of my eyebrows raise.

"Works for me with bait...no leader nothing mate- just bring em in" He says
"Huh?"
He walks.
I just sort of slip out the door and left my cash in my pocket. I was ready to buy a medium size spin rod/reel braided up, the whole shabang.

Dude was trippin

Mikey87

Post by Mikey87 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:31 am

passport1980 wrote:
Dude was trippin[/quote]

Yeah mate - I couldn't count the number of times I've gotten service like that at a BCF (or just completely ignored / had to do laps of the place for ages looking for someone).

Next time you're in there have a look for that guy I mentioned - the fact that there was someone who had such good quality service at BCF surprised me so much that I actually felt like I need to write up this post!

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:57 pm

passport1980 wrote:
adamk wrote:

Normally I am not a fan of service at BCF. I've been to a heap of their stores, both here and in Brisbane, and I've got to say that their service can range hugely. There have definitely been some reasonable employees at various stores who seem to know a bit about the local area and products however I think most of us will agree that they would be the exception, not the rule - in most cases they seem to either not know anything or really not care - they just push the price tag.

In saying all of that; I stopped in at BCF Laverton yesterday to pick up some new jig heads... Needless to say, ended up going on a bit of a wander and decided I'd grab a new rod and some extra bits & bobs while I was there. I really do have to highly commend one of their staff - a gent named Sammy. This bloke was the sort of guy I would want to have working with me if I owned a tackle shop - friendly, extremely knowledgeable, helpful, & patient. He was more than happy to spend the time, answer my questions, and help me find the right rod for my setup - even though it was reasonably cheaper than what I had originally intended on getting. Major props for actually taking the time to tell me a fair bit about other brands of rods than the two majors as well - he was all about giving me the info to make the right choice. He even got a 2500 stradic ci4+ out of the display (the reel I have at home which I was matching the rod too) to try on about 10 different rods to check balance etc.

So yeah - many thanks again & highly recommend that if you're in BCF at Laverton & want some help that you track him down. Top bloke.

Cheers.

Mike.
that the old bald guy or the 30's+ short back an side guy ? because both of them went out there way for me when i was looking for vibes

That is interesting. I went to Laverton BCF awhile ago and explained I was starting out on Soft Plastics etc. And wanted to give braid a go as I was just starting to hook a few. He nearly cuts me off-

"Oh....ok" I am lost for words. "I am just looking to have stronger line to put on a small reel- something I can throw lures around and still get distance."

"Bigger fish? Just use this mate" He pulls a 'Rogue Homebrand spool of 60lb mono from under the counter"

"Look I don't think a huge reel with 60 lb mono is going to work for what I want. Could you imagine trying to catch a fish on a light jig head and small plastic with this stuff" I grab the Marlin mono and I am sure one of my eyebrows raise.

"Huh?"
He walks.
I just sort of slip out the door and left my cash in my pocket. I was ready to buy a medium size spin rod/reel braided up, the whole shabang.

Dude was trippin
yep thats the lavo bcf I know !
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:17 pm

Theres a few tackle stores I don't like the general attitude of.

Chsmith seems to be full of arrogant wankers

CA Ringwood is a pain in the arse to shop at. Get hassled for 5 mins from every single member of staff "getting any mate" *spots lure in your hand* "ah chasing xxx well you'll need this this this and this" I went in on a quiet day and no **** copped it from 8 individual staff

Don't know the name but a smaller store in boronia I went into has a permanent sale with prices inflated way beyond normal and then cut to above standard rrps.

BCF are just hopeless. Staff don't care.

Tackleworld Cranbourne and mornington have always been really good to me. Shout out to Adam at mornington who's is a great store manager.

Compleat angler Dandenong is my local and again have always been really good. Like Tackleworld their list prices are high but they always look after me and drop a bit off here and there. Plus the advice is very handy. At times I've even been able to drop in there for 5 mins. Drop off a couple of reels and say I need these spooled up or if I'm heading off to a new area I can say I need 3-4 lures for 'x' species or 'x' area. The guys have it ready for me the next day or a few hours later. Can't speak highly enough of them especially Dylan and George.

Gone fishin cleaned me up on a rod once (paid $180 for a travel rod that was rrp $35 at cabelas) and I have barely bought anything since.

Compleat angler bentliegh seem to be absolute thieves with their prices

Peninsula total tackle have been good the few times I've been in

Fishing fever is a good store and it's great being able to have a chat to Lee about the bigger salt species. He really helped us out when rigging up the boat for offshore work with advice.

Southern sportfishing is probably the best prices store in the South East. It's a no fuss store that is well worth a visit. Shame I don't live closer.

There's plenty of others I've been into but these are the ones that have made their mark.

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:57 pm

If you think lavo bcf is bad don't go to braybrook!!!

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:37 pm

Dylan's at dandy is a top bloke. Catches a shitload of fish himself too

Mikey87

Post by Mikey87 » Sat May 02, 2015 2:46 pm

Shout out to CA Geelong - Steve & Scott were absolutely on point today. Really friendly, top service, and great advice. Will definitely be going back there and would happily recommend them to anyone who asks. They're getting a killer combo in for me - Steve (the young bloke) was more than happy to go through the trouble to organise it all. Really appreciate the efforts.

MattRC

Post by MattRC » Sat May 02, 2015 6:59 pm

Given that Tackle World Laverton is just around the corner from work, I have been going there lately. Bought a couple Gomoku/Stradic FJ combos from them along with Micro jigs etc etc. They were more then happy to crunch some numbers and do a bit of price matching. Threw in the braid on the smaller Stradic for nothing. Certainly didn't have a problem spending plenty of time with me and even pulled out a few maps to mark some spots for me to try.

Certainly get the thumbs up from me so far.

adamk

Post by adamk » Sat May 02, 2015 7:22 pm

passport1980 wrote:
adamk wrote:

Cheers.

Mike.

"Huh?"
He walks.

Dude was trippin
made me laugh, this is why i'd never ask them anything, school up an then go buy because some people like to sell snake oil.

Return to “Tackle Store Reviews”