Which treble does the damage...and where?

Rod Bender

Which treble does the damage...and where?

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:18 pm

Hi all
Just wondering if any of you guys take much notice when using lures with more than one treble, which treble is the 'successful' one in snaring the fish. From memory, I seem to recall the front treble being the one that has snared the fish. Sometimes both trebles are hooked and sometimes the rear treble is the effective one.

What I have noticed is that when the front treble has scored (and maybe the rear treble), it is often hooked in the cheek of the fish (trout and redfin). I have seen trout just 'bump' the lure, perhaps trying to see if it is real or just a protecting its territory. At one point I was using single hooks and seemed to miss a lot of stikes. Hooking the fish in the cheek with trebles tells me that having trebles is more effective (I de-bard them also to make release easier). I know the fish will hit head on as well so the spiny dorsal fin of the prey collapses. This may be the reason why the front treble is successful.

I have been removing the trebles from CD3's and running a single hook at the back - no hook at the front. With hindsight I think it is not a good idea!
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Which treble does the damage...and where?

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:45 pm

I noticed that I catch more fish on the hook that is closer to the lure's/fish's head. Probably because they swallow their food head first.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:47 pm

depends on the target species, some fish hunt at the head, some fish are tail nippers

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:49 pm

ducky wrote:depends on the target species, some fish hunt at the head, some fish are tail nippers
can you name a fish that mainly bites the tail of their prey? I assume that fish swallows its prey tail first. :dontknow
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

cotte

Post by cotte » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:51 pm

I think it's more the fact that the first strike they take out the tail, immobilising the target and then coming back to pick up the pieces.

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Tailor is the one that comes to mind and toadies hahaha
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:33 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
ducky wrote:depends on the target species, some fish hunt at the head, some fish are tail nippers
can you name a fish that mainly bites the tail of their prey? I assume that fish swallows its prey tail first. :dontknow
I'm not going to bother writing an indepth response with every fish and their preference of treble but heres a few, Tailor was the first fish I thought of then couta/pike. Further north you have Spanish Mack's. A lot of skinny profiled fish with sharp teeth hunt by nipping tails off fish.

Some fish crush or attack the head of the bait. Others use their razor sharp teeth to incapacitate the prey by taking away their motor (tail) then they finish off the fish. It can't get away if it can't swim.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:26 pm

Should have said I was more interested in fresh. Seems as though the front treble is best left in place.
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

ajperkins

Post by ajperkins » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:35 am

last few trout I have caught recently have been on the rear treble fishing the fast water in creeks I have lost a few when lifting them ashore where I assume that might be the other treble.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:31 am

Jim, what is the reason for not putting a single on the front? :dontknow cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”