Beach Spinning Starter Pack

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Beach Spinning Starter Pack

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:08 am

CarlG wrote:
ducky wrote:how far are you guys casting a slug with these 9-10 foot rods? I bought an 8'10 gladiator egi equip and it throws a slug a mile. I've only kept it incase I want to have a crack at surf spinning. I don't know how far it is but I can hit the sand bags at portsea pub from the very end of the pier with a 25 gram slug.
Hey Ducky....I normally get around 80mtrs as a rule with a 9` shore spin setup...the only issue you`ll have with your egi rod is on the back beaches. Trying to persuade a 1.5-2kg salmon to come up through the breakers is gonna be hard going, ask Fish Cador what happens when your under-gunned in the surf, and you come up against a decent fish. Be ok in the bay though..
(I think we had this same conversation on another forum ...lol..)
he rubbed salt again on my healing wounds. :2guns:

I was using a 2pc starlo stix flatspin light rod (rated 3-5kg I think) when a fish close to 2kg decided to play tug of war and it sat behind a breaker and stayed there. It was stale mate from there on. I tried to muscle it out and I ended up with a 3 pc rod.

I fixed the broken rod and it has landed dozens of nice flatties and a few cala since then. Rod is still working.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:25 am

Sorry FC..it`s just a very good anecdote to relate to people who think salmon fishing in the surf is just chuck a lure with any old rod and you`ll score heaps of fish. It doesn`t work like that, it`s very much like fishing for bass in the uk, it`s not so much the fish that beats you, it`s the backsurge and swell that does it. When you combine a good size fish, who`s determined to go side on in the backsurge, with too light gear.....it `aint gonna end well.
You know very well as a regular at both portsea and gunners, at times, your gear needs backbone to muscle the buggers out..

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:17 am

CarlG wrote:Sorry FC..it`s just a very good anecdote to relate to people who think salmon fishing in the surf is just chuck a lure with any old rod and you`ll score heaps of fish. It doesn`t work like that, it`s very much like fishing for bass in the uk, it`s not so much the fish that beats you, it`s the backsurge and swell that does it. When you combine a good size fish, who`s determined to go side on in the backsurge, with too light gear.....it `aint gonna end well.
You know very well as a regular at both portsea and gunners, at times, your gear needs backbone to muscle the buggers out..
hehehe. I was just putting more flavor to it. :crazy:
Agree, the fish is not your only issue when fishing the surf. When you hook up onto something big in the rip (fish or weed fish), the water returning to the deep will easily triple your problem. That is why my spare light gear for surf fishing is now heavier than what I used to carry out there.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

tinyballerina

Post by tinyballerina » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:36 pm

Well now....I've learnt stuff. Thought this thread could be resurrected to give any others out there a chance to benefit from it too.

Big thanks to CarlG for the heads up on spinning Gunnamatta. I used to spin the surf some years ago and had a ball, but didn't do it often enough to come up with a clear plan. I was both under and over gunned so it looks like a trip to the TackleO is on the cards.

I've always preferred a bit of length in the surf, but do believe I'll try the 9' Catana, Sienna 4000 and some 5 kg braid.

Be good to hear anyones opinion on the type of braid they use and how and what they rig their slugs with. Huge range of singles out there and I've tried a few, but again, I never managed to figure out the best arrangement.

Same goes with the gear they take down. Spray jackets, steamers, shoulder bags of whatever....I like the KISS principle in all things, but keen to hear about other choices for mid winter salmon spinning.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:47 pm

tinyballerina wrote:Well now....I've learnt stuff. Thought this thread could be resurrected to give any others out there a chance to benefit from it too.

Big thanks to CarlG for the heads up on spinning Gunnamatta. I used to spin the surf some years ago and had a ball, but didn't do it often enough to come up with a clear plan. I was both under and over gunned so it looks like a trip to the TackleO is on the cards.

I've always preferred a bit of length in the surf, but do believe I'll try the 9' Catana, Sienna 4000 and some 5 kg braid.

Be good to hear anyones opinion on the type of braid they use and how and what they rig their slugs with. Huge range of singles out there and I've tried a few, but again, I never managed to figure out the best arrangement.

Same goes with the gear they take down. Spray jackets, steamers, shoulder bags of whatever....I like the KISS principle in all things, but keen to hear about other choices for mid winter salmon spinning.
Hey mate, no worries..bizarrely enough, spoke to FishVic this morning on this very subject. We`re gonna put something together under the tackle sub forum, to describe our particular setups for different types of fishing. I`ll be contributing to surf spinning, as will several other members I hope...lol...

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:59 pm

tinyballerina wrote:Well now....I've learnt stuff. Thought this thread could be resurrected to give any others out there a chance to benefit from it too.

BCF have the sale on at the moment for the catana 902 with a shimano sol, 99 bucks if you are interested in a new surf spin outfit.

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:15 pm

poodoo wrote:

BCF have the sale on at the moment for the catana 902 with a shimano sol, 99 bucks if you are interested in a new surf spin outfit.
Good outfit to start off with. Ive had one, and i know others that have them. Will do the job easy. :thumbsup:
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:09 pm

tinyballerina wrote:
Mate I was the same big long surf roads and just stand and wait, but I switched to the 9ft spin gear and I tell ya I'm never looking back. You can cast all day with it without feeling stiff in the arms, your mobile, you don't carry heaps of stuff and its sufficient to tackle the salmon that's out there. :a_goodjob: By the way it does the job on the piers as well :)
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:13 pm

Raulfc7 wrote::a_goodjob: By the way it does the job on the piers as well :)
so how heavy was your monster today?
====
Words of wisdom:
====

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:37 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
Raulfc7 wrote::a_goodjob: By the way it does the job on the piers as well :)
so how heavy was your monster today?
Good question was great fun today nice catches FC Raul
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”