Soft plastics: as many species as I can possibly catch

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Re: Soft plastics: as many species as I can possibly catch

Post by ChrisTaylor » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:34 pm

I get small ones regularly at Frankston, and often at Mornington too. Early morning, at least, I'll usually pick them up under the mussel and charter boats. I find that pinkies respond well to vibrant plastics -- highlighter-type colours, if you will.

I also use Procure squid, although I've only just started with it ... so I can't really comment on its effectiveness. That being said, most of my fish are caught on plastics that are already scented -- e.g. the Keitech Easy Shiner paddle tails. The 2" variety, in natural colours, would be my go-to plastic, and accounts for most of the fish I've caught in the past few months. I'd love to steer you towards a bricks-and-mortar store -- Compleat Angler Dandenong -- but they don't seem to reliably stock them any more. I hope that changes, as I prefer face-to-face shopping (and I like their service), but I just restocked through fishin.com.au.

As an aside, I went down to Docklands in the afternoon yesterday. No luck. A couple of taps here or there, but I admit that I never, ever fish water quite so deep -- it's possible I was getting small hits on the way down (quite a journey for a gram, a gram and a half's worth of jighead) and not picking up on it. Nothing like some unfamiliar conditions to send you back to school.

ChrisTaylor

Post by ChrisTaylor » Sat May 30, 2020 5:41 pm

Now that we're managing the apocalypse, and can at least go fishing, I've been back out there. I have another rod, too -- a Daiwa Gekkas with Freams 2000LT. I still use the Itchy Twitchy, though.

I've picked up some trevalley, salmon, and pinkies since getting back into it ... and dropped a garfish on the lift up the pier ... and a micro-squid, too ... and have had an embarrassing run with bream. I dropped one on the lift onto the pontoon out the back of the Woolies at Patterson Lakes (a huge distance of ~30 cm) and got smoked by one this morning -- I futzed around attempting to tighten the drag, and ended up slackening the line just a little, and lost what felt like a decent model. Shameful ****.

MasterBaiter24
Has liked: 36 times

Post by MasterBaiter24 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:23 am

ChrisTaylor wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:41 pm
Now that we're managing the apocalypse, and can at least go fishing, I've been back out there. I have another rod, too -- a Daiwa Gekkas with Freams 2000LT. I still use the Itchy Twitchy, though.

I've picked up some trevalley, salmon, and pinkies since getting back into it ... and dropped a garfish on the lift up the pier ... and a micro-squid, too ... and have had an embarrassing run with bream. I dropped one on the lift onto the pontoon out the back of the Woolies at Patterson Lakes (a huge distance of ~30 cm) and got smoked by one this morning -- I futzed around attempting to tighten the drag, and ended up slackening the line just a little, and lost what felt like a decent model. Shameful ****.
What plastics were you using?

ChrisTaylor

Post by ChrisTaylor » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:13 pm

MasterBaiter24 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:23 am
ChrisTaylor wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:41 pm

What plastics were you using?
Aji worms -- bright green or yellow. Bream #1 was hooked on a natural/white aji worm, and Bream #2 was hooked on the classic Motor Oil Grub.

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:00 pm

Havent read through the replies so not sure if anyone has mentuioned this, but if you're after KG whiting and those Sorrento "Rock Cod" I think they're morwong. I've managed them on 6 inch gulp camo worm. for the whiting you will need a stinger hook in the tail.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:27 pm

croe04 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:39 pm
e.welch wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:25 pm
will keep looking whats the best scent all round?
Depends on who you ask, my favourite would be the procure super gels but i've heard good things about sax scent and squidgies s factor.
Best procure scents would be squid, inshore saltwater, pilchard and bloodworm. I'm not sure about any s factor of sax ones in particular but i imagine they're similar.
Cheers I had never heard of sax scents a quick google and I find they are Aussie made bought the saltwater pack part of my buy Aussie campaign thanks once again

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”