Braid to mono/fluro knots

Kosta7

Braid to mono/fluro knots

Post by Kosta7 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:54 am

Hey guys,

Wanting to give SPs and lures another go but my problem has always been casting. I run 10-15lbs braid on a 2500 spool, leader 15-20lbs, using a 6,6” 2-4kg rod.
I ve tried connecting braid with leader using double uni, FG and Albright knots with the same results. That little tiny knot getting stuck or rubbing losing valuable meters off my cast. I only fish LB and it is extremely frustrating not being able to cast more than 10m. When I use metal lures it’s a little bit better cause of the weight but still not good enough. For the last few months I have been doing mostly bait fishing which is extremely expensive for 2-3 long sessions a week.
If I downgrade to 6lbs braid and 10lbs leader will the size of the knots be significantly smaller? Or should I run just a fluro/mono spool an avoid any knots?
Cheers
K

Hosery

Re: Braid to mono/fluro knots

Post by Hosery » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:12 am

You will be able to cast 10 times as far with 6lb. Much more suited to your outfit over 15lb with 20lb leader. Way to heavy imo unless you are chasing big fish. I use a 6lb with 6-10lb leader with a improved Albright for my leaders and it is fine for all my bass lures which some of aren't heavy at all. Uni to uni is no good to many bust offs at the knot.
Don't go straight mono if your wanting to cast any distance

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:19 am

10m with very light cast weight is often about what is achievable in all but perfect conditions and using purpose designed gear I reckon. Depending on conditions and gear you may have to just use a heavier jig head to up your distance. Not ideal I know.

Depending on what your chasing then that might be a bit heavy. 6-10lb braid, 4-8lb leader should cover a lot of the smaller species. Maybe upgrade the leader a bit for flatties or tie on a 300mm heavy leader to your shock leader and don't reel the knot into the rod tip for casting. I only use an FG for tying mono to braid unless I'm in a hurry, like when the salmon are thick, then I'll resort to an Albright.

Or as you suggested, just try straight mono, 6-8lb and see how you like it.

Casting distance has a lot to do with your rod, especially when you start getting down to vey light casting weights. Check what casting weight is recommended on the rod and see if you are in the right range. I have a specific rod I use for small, light SP work and its recommended cast weight is down to 1 gram. Otherwise I have to start using heavier jigheads which is not ideal (or always avoidable depending on conditions) I think it's recommended line weight is only 1-2kg. I also use a Ci4 1000 to match this rod but I I don't think a 2500 is going to be detrimental to your cast distance and is probably the size I would recommend for most salt water SP work.

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:21 am

I just use 6lb braid on a 1-3kg stick 1000 size reel with 10lb leader double uni. Thin diameter shouldn’t have problem

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:34 am

Downsize your braid and try to get something with a round profile as well.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

LINwAd

Post by LINwAd » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 am

I run a few different line setups but here is two I run

1. 4lb braid to 4-6lb fluorocarbon leader to use small jig heads (1/16oz and smaller) and smaller soft plastics
2. 10lb braid to 10lb fluorocarbon leader to use 1/8oz and above jig heads

Both the reels are Shimano siennas and both are Catana Rods (1-3kg and 2-4kg) and I don't have any worries getting them out far enough to catch fish.

No matter what size braid and leader I am using I would ALWAYS use the FG knot to tie the braid to leader and the UNI knot to tie the leader to the lure/jig head. I run a leader of about 1.8m and it passes through all the guides just fine.

My input would be to drop your poundage a bit and make sure your tag ends are trimmed as close as possible on the FG knot.
LandFishTV creator - https://www.youtube.com/landfishtv/ Enjoy! :water:

Kosta7

Post by Kosta7 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:35 am

Thank you guys for all the feedback. It makes sense. I am off to Tassie next month fishing and want to give it a good crack and finally stop using freaking baits for the smaller species.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:35 am

Are you trimming your FG knot right back?

If it's done right it should run over the guides pretty smoothly. If you have more than the slightest bit of leader poking out it will catch.

Kosta7

Post by Kosta7 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:17 pm

yepi'mon wrote:Are you trimming your FG knot right back?

If it's done right it should run over the guides pretty smoothly. If you have more than the slightest bit of leader poking out it will catch.
Yeah I try to trim as close as possible (sometimes too much). I reckon it’s the thickness of the braid/leader that is the problem. When I put shock leaders on my surf rods it’s much worse when the knot goes though the guides or when it sits on the spool. I have been casting straight on braid which is horrendous on the fingers especially if wet.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:46 pm

6'6 is too short for land based in my opinion. I can get 50m casts with metals using 15lb braid and 20lb leader with a 7ft rod

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”