Lure Maintenance and Storage

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Lure Maintenance and Storage

Post by mazman » Mon May 08, 2017 9:12 am

Remove split rings and use clips for me trying to keep the weight of the clip about the same as the ring it had.

Split rings at the front are to allow the front tow point some movement whilst still using a clinch knot.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Mon May 08, 2017 10:40 am

Yeah for bream and light lures I always remove the split ring and use 0 or 00 decoy clips, never had one bend, even on some pretty good fish in the past.

For larger lures we use a solid ring tied to our mainline and then use the split rings already attached (usually upgraded though as lure manufacturers tend to skimp on the quality of their rings) as the way to attach and remove lures, we never tie direct to a split ring in case the line gets caught in the ring itself. Plus solid rings are about as strong a connection as you can get.

Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 08, 2017 11:01 am

i found out the hard way That removing the split rings was a bad idea on some lures, like the cranka crank where the tow point is recessed into the bib. and also some lures have a smaller tow point which makes getting the clip into them quite hard when on the water.
will need to investigate further.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon May 08, 2017 11:19 am

GTSHoon wrote:Yeah for bream and light lures I always remove the split ring and use 0 or 00 decoy clips, never had one bend, even on some pretty good fish in the past.

For larger lures we use a solid ring tied to our mainline and then use the split rings already attached (usually upgraded though as lure manufacturers tend to skimp on the quality of their rings) as the way to attach and remove lures, we never tie direct to a split ring in case the line gets caught in the ring itself. Plus solid rings are about as strong a connection as you can get.

Cam
seriously recommend checking out ogm ocean snaps for the heavy stuff. Gives point to tie to where leader can't get chafed and the best way to describe them is like a split ring without the need for split ring pliers to open.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”