Plastic shads

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Plastic shads

Post by DougieK » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:10 pm

mazman wrote:If you're using zmans you will want to have them on a a jig head or similar as they are neutrally buoyant and will float up if you just have a hook.
Did you actually read the rest of the thread>?
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:11 pm

yeah I did they will float if he just runs them with a hook at the plastic, dropshotted or not they will look unnatural in the water

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:19 pm

mazman wrote:yeah I did they will float if he just runs them with a hook at the plastic, dropshotted or not they will look unnatural in the water
I dont think its going to matter when its being pulled along by a 4oz lead. I tend to use a sink and draw method anyway so the lure moves up and down a bit through the water column. If they are neutrally bouyant they shouldnt move?
Cast, catch and put it back

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:22 pm

they aren't neutrally buoyant though, they float. every time you pause the will float up. the sinker won't move but the plastic will float up untill it's eventually vertical being held down by the nose

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:25 pm

If he's fishing the ledge i'm assuming he is you really really don't want your hook / plastic anywhere near the bottom anyway. I don't really pause them at all, just fast hop retrieves.

So yeah, they won't sink, but you dont' really want them too.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:29 pm

mazman wrote:they aren't neutrally buoyant though, they float. every time you pause the will float up. the sinker won't move but the plastic will float up untill it's eventually vertical being held down by the nose
Im going to be pulling this in at a decent rate so it wont end up like that. I used to do this with red gill eels but they were made of a higher density rubber so were actually neutral.
I just dont want any unnatural weight on the trace as my timing on the pendulum cast is still pretty crappy even after 2 days of practise.

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:31 pm

dezza68 wrote:
mazman wrote:they aren't neutrally buoyant though, they float. every time you pause the will float up. the sinker won't move but the plastic will float up untill it's eventually vertical being held down by the nose
Im going to be pulling this in at a decent rate so it wont end up like that. I used to do this with red gill eels but they were made of a higher density rubber so were actually neutral.
I just dont want any unnatural weight on the trace as my timing on the pendulum cast is still pretty crappy even after 2 days of practise.

Have you thought about pulley rigging them with an impact clip? would work like a drop shot but keep the plastic and the sinker together through the air.

I'll try it on Saturday.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:27 pm

DougieK wrote:
dezza68 wrote:

Have you thought about pulley rigging them with an impact clip? would work like a drop shot but keep the plastic and the sinker together through the air.

I'll try it on Saturday.
Will be a bit of a faff though for continual casting. I want the fewest amount of bits I can get away with as i know im going to lose gear.

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:53 am

^ if you tie your sinker trace lighter than your main trace you'll only ever lose the lead off the end unless you literally hook into something with your actual hook. But yeah, re setting your pulley every cast would be a *****.

Honestly, I maintain, Mainline>>>metre of 60lb leader>>>>1+ounce jighead with optional stinger is probably the easiest and most efficient way to do this.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:56 pm

DougieK wrote:^ if you tie your sinker trace lighter than your main trace you'll only ever lose the lead off the end unless you literally hook into something with your actual hook. But yeah, re setting your pulley every cast would be a *****.

Honestly, I maintain, Mainline>>>metre of 60lb leader>>>>1+ounce jighead with optional stinger is probably the easiest and most efficient way to do this.
Sounds like should do a comparison test. I found some long thin ones that I can cast and they sink on their own.

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”