Squidgy Pro Slick

Fredfillis

Squidgy Pro Slick

Post by Fredfillis » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:18 pm

Was thinking of picking up some Squidgy Pro Slick with the integrated weight. I'd be looking at the 80mm model. No specific target in mind, just increasing my options.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea of the weights of these? Or am I better off staying with the more traditional sp + jig head configuration?

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Squidgy Pro Slick

Post by sloth » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:37 pm

26g

http://www.motackle.com.au/pro-slick-ri ... 05448.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You're landbased light estuary fishing yeah? These are way too heavy.

I'd grab some jigheads and soft plastics if I were you:

There's four basic types of plastics:

Paddle tails
Curl tails
Double curl tails
Creature baits (I include worms in here too)

If you're just want to get a feel for it go grab some wrigglers - they'll catch everything:

100mm squidgy wrigglers in bloodworm
80mm squidgy wrigglers in bloodworm

Size 1 hook or 1/0 for the 100mm, size 2 for the 80mm and 1/16 weight (1/8 as well if you want the option of going heavier).

The other thing I'd say is get a specific target in mind :) depending what you decide to target is going to change where and how you fish the plastic.

Example:

Flathead you go heavy and 100mm and you target, choke points and drop-offs on the outgoing tide fishing close to the bottom and whipping the rod.

Bream: go lighter and 80mm so it has more hang time and you fish tight to structure or over flooded flats on the incoming tide. Slower, gentler lifts of the rod and pauses.

Flathead will pretty much ambush and eat anything that gets close enough to them. Not a bad species to target first.

Fredfillis

Re: Squidgy Pro Slick

Post by Fredfillis » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:26 pm

Thanks for the response Sloth.
sloth wrote:You're landbased light estuary fishing yeah?
Yeah, doing a bit of that and some bait soaking off the piers and beaches. I've had a crack with gulp turtleback and sandworms off the beach during summer but just fished that as bait for whiting.

Ready to maybe take the next step and upgrade rods / reels from the kmart stuff when I have some extra cash so I can give the SP's a proper go. I had a quick session with a Squidgy fish and twisty over the weekend and while there was no interest expressed it was nice to come home not smelling like squid for a change!

I'll certainly pick up some wrigglers and give those a go. Thanks again for the tips!

sloth

Post by sloth » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:19 am

No worries. When you do give the plastics a crack from a pier try fishing close/alongside/under the pier itself. Fish use the structure for shade, cover/shelter, food etc .... Quite often what you want is right under your feet.

Most of my fish come from within a metre of the bank or structure I'm fishing - I rarely ping a cast out into the deep blue..... Unless it's to land close to distant structure like a channel marker ;)

If you're fishing a beach (which I don't do so take this with a pinch of salt) you'll still want to target "structure" like gutters, banks, drains and rips.

Basically you should try to know what structure you're targeting, why the fish are going to be there, where the strike zone is and how you are going to use your equipment to effectively fish that zone.

Don't sweat the k-mart stuff - people catch plenty of fish on cheap gear and plastics.

Like I say I don't pier fish in the bay but I'd bet my last dollar that they'll hold fish underneath them on an incoming tide around the high.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:06 am

I've had success with them off ocean rock ledges for couta, pike and salmon. They might be an allright jewie lure but i'd guess there are better options.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:08 am

Maybe good for flatties since they are so heavy and will get to the bottom fast.

sloth

Post by sloth » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:13 am

Just keep in mind casting weight rating of your rod

Fredfillis

Post by Fredfillis » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:49 pm

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

I may pick up a pack just to throw in the tackle box as an option but they do seem much heavier than I expected when I first saw them online. Will def give the wrigglers a go as well.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:49 am

I wouldn't bother with them mate. Not much chop. Many better plastics out there.

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”