Fluorocarbon leader

Drifta-X

Re: Fluorocarbon leader

Post by Drifta-X » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:31 am

slinga wrote:Whats your reason for wanting to use Fluorocarbon??
Almost the same refractive index as water (almost goes invisable)
Better abrasion resistance then mono.

So for fish like bream that are skittish, it helps, not to mention that the always run to structure.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:34 am

I have just started using fluorocarbon leader, prior to this all my leaders were just normal jarwis walker brand mono. Never had any issues and caught lots of fish on it
Im yet to work out if the fluoro is a better choice or not as I haven’t been fishing with it a lot, and haven’t caught many fish as of yet either.

I use berkley vanish fluorocarbon (note this is just the normal fluoro line, not the leader material, which is more expensive)
And also use Daiwa emeraldas fluoro leader

I find most FC leaders to be very wirey in consitancy, I prefer a more supple leader so I can tie knots properly. The Daiwa one is very good but very pricy ($20 for 50mts)
I read somewhere in a magazine they tested some fluoro lines with normal mono, and the mono line(from some unknown overseas company) was least visible in the water (they had a diver down checking the lines)
Im no expert on this but if you fish with silly lines like 3lb leader or so then im not sure if FC makes a difference as its so thin you will struggle to see it regardless.
cheers

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:38 am

Dead right about braid ratings being all over the shop. Braid can also loose considerable bull with a little wear becoming even more confusing.

As to shock leader I have sometimes fished braid tied to the jig and SP, braid being very visible could look unnatural to the fish but if the fish are on they don't seem to mind.

intercooledpc2
Has liked: 2 times

Post by intercooledpc2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:28 pm

purple5ive wrote:I have just started using fluorocarbon leader, prior to this all my leaders were just normal jarwis walker brand mono. Never had any issues and caught lots of fish on it
Im yet to work out if the fluoro is a better choice or not as I haven’t been fishing with it a lot, and haven’t caught many fish as of yet either.

I use berkley vanish fluorocarbon (note this is just the normal fluoro line, not the leader material, which is more expensive)
And also use Daiwa emeraldas fluoro leader

I find most FC leaders to be very wirey in consitancy, I prefer a more supple leader so I can tie knots properly. The Daiwa one is very good but very pricy ($20 for 50mts)
I read somewhere in a magazine they tested some fluoro lines with normal mono, and the mono line(from some unknown overseas company) was least visible in the water (they had a diver down checking the lines)
Im no expert on this but if you fish with silly lines like 3lb leader or so then im not sure if FC makes a difference as its so thin you will struggle to see it regardless.
cheers
I am in the same boat, I just started using flouro too and prior to this I was also using the cheap Jarvis Walker spool stuff... No problem with it by the way, for $4 it's excellent value.

Interesting about the mono line being less visible, I'm not sure why or how this would be. I've been doing some tests of my own and your right, if your using thin diameter, clear mono, I think the visible properties are very minimal. There are some videos on You Tube demonstrating this. I too also like the subtly of mono for thing knots.

Glad to see there is some support for mono, I thought I was missing out not getting in to flouro enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

FirelineFanatic

Post by FirelineFanatic » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:25 am

sloth wrote:Ive started using berkley vanish. In 4lb and 8lb. Reasonably priced off amazon and looks quality.
I use Berkley Vanish as it is designed to use as mainline so you get 228m for around $20, the same price to buy a decent quality fluorocarbon 'leader'. Companies put 'leader' on 20m spools of FC and we actually pay $20+ for it, when we could buy 100's of meters of Fc, which is exactly the same, for the same price, and it lasts us so much longer. I used to get really sick of running out of FC when I needed it most. Not anymore. I just buy the Vanish from Big W.

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:51 am

I've moved to yamatoyo Harris fighter. Had a few issues with vanish and knot strength. I understand your reasoning above and depending where you fish you'll likely get away with it but there are actually differences between spinning fluorocarbon and leader fluorocarbon. Spinning tends to be softer and more flexible to aid casting and line management. Leader material has different surface coatings etc to be harder and improve abrasion resistance (principle role of a leader). It sounds like a rort but it actually isn't and leader fc is most definitely not the same as spinning fc. Cheers

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:18 am

I used to use linesystems flouro leader, which is pretty expensive. Been using sfp's stuff for the salmon this season, been great, no issue at all.. (Apart from Oatsy's braid crossing my leader and sawing through the leader knot this week lol.). I'll be buying it again.
Use black magic for snapper and gummy rigs, the supple leader, not the standard, 60lb, knot's are dead easy with the supple stuff..

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”