Braid to Leader knots

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Braid to Leader knots

Post by greggo » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:39 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:Just wondering does anybody use a double/triple surgeons knot for tying leaders?
I used to tie it for shorter leaders only. I find it's too fiddly in the wind with long leaders, as you have to cut your leader to length before tying it. It's a pretty good knot, but I'll stick with the double uni, slim beauty or Albright knots.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:45 pm

greggo wrote:
SteveoTheTiger wrote:Just wondering does anybody use a double/triple surgeons knot for tying leaders?
I used to tie it for shorter leaders only. I find it's too fiddly in the wind with long leaders, as you have to cut your leader to length before tying it. It's a pretty good knot, but I'll stick with the double uni, slim beauty or Albright knots.

I've also found the surgeons has a tendencie to cut the mono, especially with the lower lb(dia) stuff. I used to use it and found it a great knot, until I changed brands of braid and now I can no longer use it, due to cutting/snapping issues with very little pressure.

Plas-Flicker

Post by Plas-Flicker » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:46 pm

Personally I use the double uni if Im surf spinning for salmon as I'll use a short leader of 50 - 60cm's so it does not have to pass through the guides. For longer leader applicaitons I use the fg knot, but it is damn fiddely.
StevoTheTiger - if using braid then a surgeons knot with about 5 loops through works good. 3 loops will slip on braid but works good for mono.
Tight lines = Good Times!

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:25 pm

ive been using the surgeons knot for 8lb fluro to 8lb and 5lb braid for trout/bream fishing, seems to hold up really well.

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”