Fused & Braided Lines, why the great divide among fisho's ??

Pedro

Re: Fused & Braided Lines, why the great divide among fisho'

Post by Pedro » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:51 am

Good original post and some valuable responses; thus a great thread going here. Thanks to all contributors..
What line is recommended for a newbie to bait casting; one who is concentrating on improving their casting technique before getting involved in the more subtle technicalities of line type/quality??
Regards, Pedro@CliftonSprings.

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:44 pm

01088885 wrote:Good original post and some valuable responses; thus a great thread going here. Thanks to all contributors..
What line is recommended for a newbie to bait casting; one who is concentrating on improving their casting technique before getting involved in the more subtle technicalities of line type/quality??
Regards, Pedro@CliftonSprings.
Pedro,
If I was just starting to use a baitcaster I wouild be using mono on my reel while I practiced.
YOu have to get used to be able to judge when to apply tension and slow down your line before just hard breaking as with baitcasters your going to get over runs, not like a spinning reel where the spool doesn't move when you cast, a baitcaster spool is running up to 30,000+ revs a minute so line is pouring off the reel, and any abrurpt stop at the lure/bait end of the line will usually amount to a great deal of whats called bird nesting ( it does look that bad and causes loads of people to never try again after they have wrecked a couple of spool full of braid).
What I used to do is practice with 8lb mono and then down to 4lb and whats called a casting plug and just try to cast 15 yards into a hula hope thats laying on the ground and building up from there to try to get it into a bucket then into a ice cream container.
The casting plug you can buy at good tackle stores ( not Kmart or such ) but you can also use a soft plastic jig head with the hook part cut off, so just the lead head.

Sure I messed up even with the mono, but until you get your technique right your just going to put all sorts of knots and nests in the line, braid just makes it a least 10x worse and a lot of the birdsnest and knots you can't get out of the braid, it just tightens up so much and is so fine that youi become frustrated and just have to cut it all off and then top shot with more braid.

I have seen plenty of grown men just about cry when they try to use a baitcaster with braid for the 1st dozen times, mostly they give it away by then as it's too hard unless they have built up to it by practicing.

I can't recommend a line size as I have no idea of what your going to be chasing, as in do you want to cast to Bream, Cod, Barra or what ever, I have found that they are just about useless to cast for bream as they need some weight in the jig head or lure to get the spool revolving which make the lures way to heavy but great casting on the Murray for Cod or up North

Goodluck
Tacklenut

Sarg-79-

Post by Sarg-79- » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:46 am

I've been having issues lately with squid jigs snapping off during the cast. Would it be a case of it wrapping around the guide during casting? I'm sure I have braid I honestly can't remember it was to long ago! I have started winding every tenth cast of so in fast to try and put some tension back in the line after all the slack line from the jigging retrieve.

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:41 am

Sarg it sounds like it is... its wrapping on just the top guide and as you go for the flick it just breaks away... my sisters bf lost 3 of my favourite jigs by doing that... and many of my mates that come with me do the same and they all are my jigs! Gosh! In one night i lost 10-15 jigs zzzzz
After i showered them how to cast wit braid n always watch their top guide they are getting the hang of it lol.
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:51 pm

vinhii wrote:Sarg it sounds like it is... its wrapping on just the top guide and as you go for the flick it just breaks away... my sisters bf lost 3 of my favourite jigs by doing that... and many of my mates that come with me do the same and they all are my jigs! Gosh! In one night i lost 10-15 jigs zzzzz
After i showered them how to cast wit braid n always watch their top guide they are getting the hang of it lol.
Vinhii,
Spot on, superlines have that great ability to just wrap themselves around just about anything when your not looking.
Again great that you showed them how to cast using braid, as it's a totaly different beast to mono. With practice and if they keep looking for it, then a lot less lures get lost and even some rod tips might get saved.
Have seen quite a few graphite rods snap at between the tip and second guide from line wrapping.

Matey, now all the forum is your friend, we all want to use your gear. :thumbsup:
I know what it's like to lose gear when friends borrow them. I too have gone down that track.
Good squid jigs are not cheap so that night would could/would have been expensive for you.

cheers
tacklenut

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:13 am

TN - hehehe yeah teaching em was hard part lol cause they think its like mono
Haha im happy to lend my jigs and gear to friends i trust haha

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:09 pm

TN,
Many thanks for your response to my query. Will have a crack at what you've suggested.
Cheers, Pedro@CliftonSprings.

Abuthen

Post by Abuthen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:39 pm

vinhii wrote:TN - hehehe yeah teaching em was hard part lol cause they think its like mono
Haha im happy to lend my jigs and gear to friends i trust haha
I reckon you should lend your jigs to non-friends like me ... see ..

Friends lose your jigs - you all have a good laugh, make merry - you still lost your jigs
I lose your jigs - we all have a good laugh, make merry - and i have to cough up for the jigs

;-)
Abuthen

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Hahah ill have a good think bout it bahha

Sonic

Post by Sonic » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:48 am

I can honestly say that after 20 years of not fishing and going from mono to braid, I really don't have much trouble casting with braid. All 3 of my reels are spooled with braid.

Sent via my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk
A shitzu is a zoo with no animals :D

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”