Fused & Braided Lines, why the great divide among fisho's ??

Messiah

Re: Fused & Braided Lines, why the great divide among fisho'

Post by Messiah » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:26 pm

sal.fonzi wrote:
Messiah wrote:Has anyone used frog braid? I have read that it frays quite easily.
I have it on my a shimano aero reel.. havent got too much use out of it yet but it seems good.. no birds nests/wind knots yet. Good knot retention and super smooth.. as I said.. havent had much use yet but am happy with it for now.
Okay, thankyou!

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:28 pm

Great thread tacklenut! I went all braid in the early days starting out with fireline, since have tried a few powerpro, sunline range, roves, daiwa, frog. All have pros and cons as you've pointed out. I now have a mix of mono, braid or fluro set ups depending on the type of fishing I'm doing. With the braid selection it's not the breaking strain, it's more the diameter and how subtle when going lite line. It's important to learn a couple of knots for braid to leader.
Messiah wrote:Has anyone used frog braid? I have read that it frays quite easily.
I have have a couple of setups with frog on them, 4,6, 20 & 30lb, great in the lighter strains, hard to justify its price in the 20 & 30lb when there are so many others to buy at cheaper prices.
quid est quod eum

Drifta-X

Post by Drifta-X » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:53 pm

For those interested

http://www.japantorg.com/catalogue/fish ... cation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:22 pm

i opted for braid , Just bought some for the only reason that it doesnt feel wirey and is quite limp.. fireline feels like very fine wire trace. dont feel too comfortable with that, just a personal choice.

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:32 pm

ducky wrote:PE stands for polyethylene.

The measuring system rates different pe lines based on their thickness. It has taken on the name PE as it refers to the line type from the original name "gouw" which was used to measure the thickness of silk threads. Eg 0.148mm thick = pe 0.8.
Hi Ducky,

Thanks very much for clearing that up, some members have some very strange ideas about what should be what in this world. For years we have been using gsp either in braid or fused and just called it polyethylene
The fancy Japanese brands muddied the waters by calling their braids PE and then rating them by a different system than anyone else in the world, just makes it difficult to compare apples with apples.

cheers tn

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:33 pm

I have some fused fireline use it typically on overheads intended for bottom bashing but I have used it elsewhere.

Very durable, strong and thin. Great stuff but it is a bit stiff and cast only ok and I wouldn't use rate it highly for use with a spin setup.

But for TLD used for bottom bashing it is great.

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm

ducky wrote:
I've not used it. Can't justify the price. However there's plenty of tournament bream fishos that absolutely swear by the stuff as the best money can buy.
Ducky,

Your right, Frog is a great braid for sure. It's certainly up there among the best.
As for the tourny bream fisho's I know a few that do use it.
But I know more that don't, they swear by Fireline.....Must have something to do with them being sponsored by Berkley :wink1:

kind regards
tacklenut

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:10 pm

I'm not a good enough fisherman to worry about anything more then bang for your buck. Haha. I like to buy quality middle of the range stuff.

Good to see you around TN. Long time no see. Still in the tackle selling game?

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:08 am

ducky wrote:I'm not a good enough fisherman to worry about anything more then bang for your buck. Haha. I like to buy quality middle of the range stuff.

Good to see you around TN. Long time no see. Still in the tackle selling game?
Ducky,
Nothing wrong with quality mid road gear, it's a fact that today's quality mid road gear in many field used to be yesterdays top of the line stuff.
Car's, TV's, Computers, Smart Phones, Computer Tablets like the iPad, then Samsung & Microsoft now even Aldi have them ( as well as smart phones ).
It just flows down and in fishing we are not that fast but lines like Power Pro, Stren, Fins, Berkley's range are still good quality only cheaper than they were 5 years ago.

As far as the selling goes, havent in awhile but funny how you ask as today did a tidy up and bit of a stock take. Still have quite a lot of stock on hand, ie about 1,000 Rapala Hard bodies like X wraps, Countdowns, Husky Jerks and Floaters, truck load of plastics, ( a couple of hundred packs of Berkley Gulp's & about a 1,000 packs of Rapala Slams and lots inbetween) down to must last 280 spools of braid, a few of them large 3500 yard spools of Sufix Performance Braid and still many 1,000's of hooks as well as a few rods and reels.
But can I be bothered ? Right now no....Will donate some stuff to the forum for prizes, if someone would come and choose what they would want and use.
Anyone want some cheap braid or some Slam plastics ???
regards
tacklenut

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:44 am

I'll come fill the ute and bring it back to my place, to look after it for you :)

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”