leaders

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Re: leaders

Post by seephil » Sun May 26, 2013 5:14 pm

GTSHoon wrote:Just a quick super dumb question I've only just started using braid, Why do you have to use a leader?
Cam
For many reasons, I use a FC leader because braid is easily seen in the water so fish can see it. also braid does not sink, it actually floats. Also tying braid is a lot harder to tie knots with(it slips) than mono,nylon of fluro. These are some of the reasons why i use it. I'm sure other guys can comment and add why we use leaders.

Hope this helps :a_goodjob:

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Sun May 26, 2013 5:18 pm

seephil wrote:
GTSHoon wrote:Just a quick super dumb question I've only just started using braid, Why do you have to use a leader?
Cam
For many reasons, I use a FC leader because braid is easily seen in the water so fish can see it. also braid does not sink, it actually floats. Also tying braid is a lot harder to tie knots with(it slips) than mono,nylon of fluro. These are some of the reasons why i use it. I'm sure other guys can comment and add why we use leaders.

Hope this helps :a_goodjob:
Thanks I never realized it floated or is it was visible underwater do you use Fluro or Mono more as a leader
Cheers
Cam :thumbsup:
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

seephil

Post by seephil » Sun May 26, 2013 6:14 pm

I've got myself a couple of spools of both. I primarily use fluro as a leader especially when lure fishing for fish/calamari. I found it more weary and longer lasting and great knot strength. I get snagged on rocks and mussel coated pylons around landbased locations too. Sometimes the leader lasts me a month or two.

E-Koka12

Post by E-Koka12 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:56 pm

What's the purpose of a leader?

Drifta-X

Post by Drifta-X » Sun May 26, 2013 7:44 pm

1: mono or fc (fluorocarbon) have much night abrasion resistance then braid.

2: versatility. Keep ya same mainline for different fishing (6lb for eg), heavy leader for snaggy rocky area or with fish with sharp teeth like tailor, and the light leader for say timid bream.

3: it's cheaper to tie a new leader every now and then, not loosing expencive braid every time u tie a new lure or break off on a rock or snag.

4: fc leader has the same refractive index as water so almost becomes I visable in the water.

5: as braid has almost no stretch a length of leader will give u some shock absorption.

6:coz I said so and u won't be cool if u don't use one.

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Mon May 27, 2013 10:04 am

Drifta-X wrote:1: mono or fc (fluorocarbon) have much night abrasion resistance then braid.

2: versatility. Keep ya same mainline for different fishing (6lb for eg), heavy leader for snaggy rocky area or with fish with sharp teeth like tailor, and the light leader for say timid bream.

3: it's cheaper to tie a new leader every now and then, not loosing expencive braid every time u tie a new lure or break off on a rock or snag.

4: fc leader has the same refractive index as water so almost becomes I visable in the water.

5: as braid has almost no stretch a length of leader will give u some shock absorption.

Well the drifta I'll have to use it then beacuse you said so ;) :icon_lolz:
I have a reel spooled with 10lb braid would you use fc of the same weight as the line?

seephil

Post by seephil » Mon May 27, 2013 10:12 am

What do you usually wish for? Where and do you use bait or lures? I'd used anything from 12-20lbs. If you're into flicking lures then go lighter. If you fish near rocky grounds and your rigs get bashed around when fighting a fish then go heavier.
I generally will go slightly heavier than my main braid line.

My setup:
2500 reel- 6lb braid, 8lb leader
4000 reel- 12lb braid, 20lb leader

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Mon May 27, 2013 10:24 am

I usually just fish with 10lb braid along estuaries and river with bait but I am starting to move towards lure fishing I have a heavier set up I use for heavier fish which is 20lb braid

seephil

Post by seephil » Mon May 27, 2013 11:01 am

GTSHoon wrote:I usually just fish with 10lb braid along estuaries and river with bait but I am starting to move towards lure fishing I have a heavier set up I use for heavier fish which is 20lb braid
I just started playing around with lures(excluding egi lures). Never had much luck until I downsized from my 4000 with 15lb+ line to 2500 reel with 6lb+ line. You notice more bites and have a greater chance of hooking up. Not to mention the fun!

Drifta-X

Post by Drifta-X » Mon May 27, 2013 4:18 pm

GTSHoon wrote:
Drifta-X wrote:1: mono or fc (fluorocarbon) have much night abrasion resistance then braid.

Well the drifta I'll have to use it then beacuse you said so ;) :icon_lolz:
I have a reel spooled with 10lb braid would you use fc of the same weight as the line?
What are you targeting and what sort of area.
Bait or lure?
Water clarity can effect your choice.

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”